The driver of the National Democratic Congress’ Deputy General Secretary, Peter Boamah Otokunor has been arrested by the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB).
According to reports, Eric Adoglah’s arrest is in connection with the fire outbreaks being recorded at major markets across the country.
In less than four weeks a number of fire outbreaks have been reported in markets and other public spaces across the country.
There have been fire outbreaks in Kantamanto, Koforidua and Odawna. Last Saturday, a section of the Kaneshie Market was razed by fire, leaving nine shops destroyed.
The phenomenon has become a source of worry for traders who are losing thousands of cedis in these fire outbreaks.
And for others, it may be a deliberate attempt by certain persons within the opposition NDC to exhibit their displeasure against the results declared by the Electoral Commission.
But speaking on Accra-based station, TV3 on Monday, the lawyer for the suspect, Victor Kojogah Adawudu said he is yet to be informed on the offence his client has been charged with, hence, his arrest.
For him, the move by the NIB is in the bid to intimidate the accused’s boss, Mr Otokunor.
“His boss [Peter Otukonor] has been vocal so it is in a bid to intimidate him they are trying to plant something on him [the accused] so that he accuses his boss [Peter Otokunor]. We don’t know so we do not want to conjecture,” he said.
Lawyer Adawudu expressed suspicion that the BNI officials want to “torture” the driver to confess what may not be true.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- ‘I dread pain and abuse’ – A female head porter opens up on her daily trauma
- Police arrest notorious armed robber in Tema
- ‘Government is either feigning incompetence on the point of how we fix structures or is pretending to fix them’ – Barker-Vormawor
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme
- Virologist warns of third wave of Covid-19 in Ghana
- Covid-19: GHS to roll out second doses from May 19
- NSMQ2021: Mfantsipim School begins redemption campaign from regional qualifiers
- 2022 World Cup Qualifiers: Black Stars to camp in Europe despite postponement
- Family sues Daasebre Oti Boateng for failing to replace a statue he destroyed
We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
Akufo-Addo meets families of May 9 victims
Astroturf pitch commissioned to boost football in Old Tafo
Sunyani Muslims join SDA Church in worship
Burglars target Nigeria president’s chief of staff
Climate change: Zoggu residents cannot access water
Amanase residents burn fetish priest’s car over suspected ritual murder
Actor sues TikTok for using her voice in viral tool
9 dead after shooting at Russian school
Apple’s UK users deserve app price compensation, claim says
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, May 11, 2021
Over 10 make-shift structures razed down by fire at Krofrom-Kumasi
Tema Police Command records 3 attempted murder cases in first quarter of 2021
MMDCEs and MPs must collaborate to stimulate development – Kwadaso MP
Gov’t to roll out eight additional interventions this month under Ghana CARES programme-Ofori-Atta