Audio By Carbonatix
A Nigerian Christian group on Monday disputed an assertion by the army that it had rescued 31 people who were abducted by armed men in northern Kaduna state, saying that the victims remained in captivity.
The Nigerian Army said on Sunday that troops had freed the civilians after gunmen stormed a church in Ariko village in Kaduna's Kachia district, while five people were found dead at the scene.
Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) chairman for the northern region, Reverend John Joseph Hayab, denied any rescue had taken place.
"Yes, the military is doing its best to get them back home, but it is not fair for the military to claim that the victims have been rescued," Hayab told Reuters by phone.
"Now we have misinformation. When we are busy denying, we are just giving the bandits the opportunity to strike and go freely," he added.
The Kurtumi Unity Development Association, a local resident group in Ariko, also dismissed the army's assertion, saying it was "entirely false, misleading and does not reflect the current situation".
Local resident and former Ariko village head Iliya Audu put the final death toll at seven, not five, and said the burials had been held on Monday.
"We are just returning from the burial of those killed. No single soul was rescued," said Audu.
The Nigerian Army and Defence Headquarters did not respond to repeated requests for comment on Monday.
CAN has previously challenged official accounts of kidnappings, including last November when it disputed security forces' figures following the abduction of students from a Catholic school in Niger state.
Nigeria is under scrutiny from U.S. President Donald Trump who says that Christians are being persecuted, which the government denies.
Latest Stories
-
Health Ministry issues Ebola alert after WHO declares global public health emergency
2 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia enskinned as Kashentengwura in Bole
7 minutes -
Ghana secures $40m diaspora investment fund as entry point for Africa growth push in Atlanta Dialogue
8 minutes -
Abronye DC case: Detention doesn’t take away right to healthcare – Martin Kpebu
11 minutes -
German-born Ghanaian youngster Jason Osei-Tutu joins Greuther Fürth ahead of 2026/27 season
24 minutes -
Health Ministry opens admissions for 2026/2027 public health training institutions
34 minutes -
Mobile Money Advocacy Group commends IGP for intensified fight against crime
35 minutes -
BOSAG, Gov’t aligns to scale Ghana’s BPO & GBS sector and create 100,000 jobs
54 minutes -
Rent Control orders hostel owners to suspend proposed 2026/2027 fee increments
1 hour -
Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs for spying
1 hour -
Dr. Apaak cuts sod for construction of 24-Hour Economy Market in Fumbisi
1 hour -
Disadvantages will not stop Builsa South development – Dr Apaak
2 hours -
Tecco Mensah writes: Misinformation is an existential threat
2 hours -
GRIDCo, ECG announce maintenance across 4 regions on Wednesday, May 20
2 hours -
Dr. Ike Tandoh develops 2 Afrocentric frameworks for personal branding in his new book ‘Brand Yourself’
2 hours