Audio By Carbonatix
A notorious bandit kingpin and 100 of his suspected followers have been killed in a joint military operation in north-west Nigeria, authorities say.
Gwaska Dankarami was said to have been a high-value target who reportedly served as second-in-command to an Islamic State-linked leader.
The alleged gang leader had been hiding in the Munumu Forest, with authorities reporting that several other criminal hideouts were also destroyed across the state on Friday.
His apparent death comes after bandits kidnapped 43 villagers and killed four others in a deadly attack on a village called Maigora in the northern Katsina State earlier this week.
The police had said that it deployed security forces in pursuit of the kidnappers.
However, this is not the first time Dankarami's death has been reported.
In 2022, the Nigerian Airforce claimed to have killed him in a similar operation.
The Katsina State commissioner for internal security and home affairs, Nasir Mua'zu, said the killing was a significant milestone in the fight against banditry in the state.
"It is expedient to state that this successful mission has significantly disrupted the criminal networks that have long terrorised communities across Faskari, Kankara, Bakori, Malumfashi, and Kafur," Mua'zu added.
Security forces said they had also recovered and destroyed two machine guns and locally fabricated shotguns.
In a separate operation on Thursday, security forces killed six bandits, including their commander, while several other bandits escaped with bullet wounds.
Seven motorcycles were also intercepted and recovered during the intelligence-led operation.
Katsina, the home state of former Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, has witnessed sporadic attacks by bandits and kidnappers that have claimed many lives.
The state governor, Malam Dikko Umaru Radda, has expressed the government's determination to eliminate criminals and ensure every forest is thoroughly monitored to protect residents.
The authorities said that the operations are part of a broader effort to restore stability in the state and the north-west region of Nigeria, which has witnessed repeated banditry attacks.
Latest Stories
-
Illegal mining drives Ghanaian children from classrooms into hazardous labour
25 minutes -
NACOC committed to strengthening border security – DG
29 minutes -
DTI students showcase innovative solutions at 2026 Capstone Projects Exhibition
37 minutes -
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
45 minutes -
Jinapor prioritises exploration, investment to reverse Ghana’s oil production decline
47 minutes -
Eric Tinkler highlights deep-rooted challenges at Asante Kotoko, admits club is aware
50 minutes -
Next 15 years of Petroleum Commission must focus on transformation – John Jinapor
51 minutes -
Bank of Ghana’s negative equity should not come as a surprise – Minority
52 minutes -
US$3.5bn fresh investment shows renewed confidence in Ghana’s oil sector – Jinapor
53 minutes -
Another centenary in Keta: Vodza RC School
1 hour -
GES engages teacher unions over concerns about 2025 promotion dates
1 hour -
Ghana must move from participation to ownership in petroleum sector – Jinapor
1 hour -
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
2 hours -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
2 hours -
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
2 hours