A leading Nigerian policeman has denied any connection with the fraud and money laundering charges that Nigerian influencer Hushpuppi has pleaded guilty to in a US court.
The policeman, Abba Kyari, was listed in a statement from the US Attorney’s Office as one of those who worked with Hushpuppi, whose real name is Ramon Abbas.
In one scheme, Hushpuppi attempted to steal more than $1.1m (£785m) from someone who wanted to fund a new children’s school in Qatar, the documents said.
In the US Attorney’s Office statement, Mr Kyari is accused of agreeing to detain one of Hushpuppi’s co-conspirators after they had fallen out.
In a statement on his Facebook page, Mr Kyari said that he had responded to a distress call from Hushpuppi, who had said this family was in danger, and had briefly detained the man, but no money changed hands.
“Our hands are clean… We are used to such types of people and false newsmakers and distributors,” he concluded.
- MP for Kumawu, Philip Basoah is dead
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- ‘Why approve the man who caused me such pain?’ Sam George questions Minority MP colleagues
- Substantial elements of Anti-LGBTQ bill have been modified – Akufo-Addo
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- Sights and sounds: Akufo-Addo hosts Kamala Harris at banquet
- ‘It was too big a risk to start him’- Hughton on Thomas Partey against Angola
- Playback: Kamala Harris addressed Ghanaians from Black Star Square
- Black Stars: 5 things we learned from the two games against Angola
- Treason trial: Court demands death certificate of Dr Mac-Palm
- Ghana Institution of Engineering opens 53rd Conference in Takoradi
- Shop owners at Kejetia Market protest closure
- Sarkodie takes daughter Titi on an adventure
- 8 die on River Oti due to capsized boat
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Afriyie Barnieh, Issahaku and Nuamah start for Black Meteors against Algeria
- Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor eulogises late Kumawu MP, Philip Basoah
- Build partnerships to increase digital inclusion – Kamala Harris
- Majority MPs wear black as Parliament mourns late Philip Basoah
- Together we will address the challenges we face – Kamala Harris on partnership with Africa
- Falling oil price only explanation for low fuel prices
- Policy rate increase will exacerbate challenges confronting businesses, hamper growth and employment – GNCCI
- You don’t need money to make money; you need mindset – Oscar Bimpong
- Banks record significant losses due to DDEP – BoG
- US is committed to strengthening relationship with Africa – Kamala Harris
- Bond market: Trading activity in government bonds slumps by 15.5