Audio By Carbonatix
The Central Regional Minister has confirmed that no deaths or injuries have been recorded following the armed attack on fishermen at sea near Senya Beraku, as efforts intensify to bring the stranded victims safely to shore.
According to Ekow Panyin Okyere Eduamoah, arrangements were immediately made to retrieve the fishermen after reports of the robbery emerged.
“So far, we’ve not had any information about somebody dead or hurt, and so our concern is to bring them down quickly, which is what we have done,” he stated in an interview on Joy FM's Midday News on Thursday, February 26.
His comment follows reports that armed men have attacked fishermen at sea near Senya Bereku in the Awutu Senya District of the Central Region on Wednesday, firing multiple warning shots and making away with seven outboard motors, generators and other valuables.
Mr Okere Eduamoah disclosed that local fishermen were mobilised to assist in the rescue operation, while the Ghana Navy and the Ghana Police Service have also been engaged.
The Minister stressed that the fishermen were not taken hostage, dismissing widespread speculation within the community.
“Very sure. We’ve had discussions with them through telephone calls,” he said, explaining that communication had been established with some of the stranded fishermen.
He noted that the immediate priority is to get the victims ashore to obtain first-hand accounts of the incident and curb what he described as excessive hearsay within the settlement.
The Minister indicated that the fishermen were expected to arrive within about 20 minutes, based on updates from personnel on the ground.
On the whereabouts of the attackers, he said no arrests had been made and that any official information regarding the suspects would come from the police.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
10 minutes -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
14 minutes -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
29 minutes -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
35 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
41 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
47 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
1 hour -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
1 hour -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
1 hour -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
1 hour -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
1 hour -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
2 hours -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
2 hours -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
2 hours -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
2 hours