Audio By Carbonatix
Chelsea will take no action against Enzo Fernandez for singing a derogatory song about France's black players, after he apologised to several French team-mates.
Fernandez was accused of "uninhibited racism" by Chelsea team-mate Wesley Fofana for a video posted to his social media account after Argentina beat Colombia 1-0 in the Copa America final on 14 July.
The Argentina midfielder, 23, landed in Atlanta in the United States on Monday and addressed the incident.
Chelsea instigated an internal disciplinary procedure which is now closed with no action taken, the Press Association reports.
Manager Enzo Maresca said Chelsea's players had "all accepted" Fernandez’s apology.
“We all feel very comfortable and good," the Italian said. "Enzo Fernandez is back; he had a chat with us and he just clarified that there was not any bad intention.
"The meeting was between me, Enzo and some of the other players. Wes was there, to clarify the situation. There is no mystery behind it - we all make mistakes and sometimes have to apologise. Enzo apologised four or five times. The lads already accepted it.
"Since yesterday's session and last night, everything was like before. They were all together, speaking and laughing - a normal situation. It was exactly what I expected as I know there is not any bad intention and they are all good people."
Fernandez has also made a voluntary contribution to an anti-discrimination charity. The amount will be matched by Chelsea.
A complaint was also made to world governing body Fifa.
The video Fernandez posted featured a song sung by some of the Argentina squad about France's black players, which the French Football Federation (FFF) said included an alleged "racist and discriminatory" chant.
Chelsea have seven France players who are black or mixed race in their first-team squad. Axel Disasi, Benoit Badiashile, Lesley Ugochukwu, Christopher Nkunku, Malo Gusto and Fofana are all part of the travelling group on Chelsea's US tour.
Fofana, who has one cap for France, had posted an image of the video on Instagram, describing it as "uninhibited racism".
Maresca played down the situation when questioned last week in his first media conference as manager, saying he did not think there would be "any problems at all" when the £107m midfielder returned.
Chelsea winger Noni Madueke echoed those comments, saying the situation would "be fine", but captain Reece James said the circumstances were a "problem" and that he was ready to act as a mediator.
An investigation by Fifa is ongoing and could lead to Football Association FA involvement and a potential ban from domestic matches for Fernandez.
Latest Stories
-
World Rugby chair Brett Robinson and Rugby Africa president Herbert Mensah to visit Zimbabwe as Sables prepare for Rugby World Cup
22 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair: Day 2 opens today with bigger homeownership opportunities
1 hour -
‘Africa’s prosperity is not a threat to anybody’ — Mahama
2 hours -
‘The Big Push is pushing’ – Upper West MPs hail contractors delivering in the region
2 hours -
Government sets up team to negotiate VALCO strategic partnership
3 hours -
Ghana clears upstream disputes as $3.5bn investment pipeline takes shape
3 hours -
Land dispute turns deadly as man is allegedly stabbed with scissors at Achiase
4 hours -
Muntaka orders police to crush vigilantism, unauthorised ‘self-defence’ groups
4 hours -
Kingsley Agyemang donates medical equipment, pays patients’ bills at Kyebi Hospital
5 hours -
‘Partnerships must be on our terms’ — Mahama
5 hours -
Mahama urges Africa to break dependency cycle and take control of its resources
6 hours -
Dorimon E-Block project nears completion after decade-long stall
6 hours -
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
7 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
7 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
7 hours