Audio By Carbonatix
Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu has assured the general public that his outfit will no longer proceed with any procurement without parliamentary approval.
His comment comes on the back of the purchase of some Sputnik-V vaccines and the subsequent termination of a contract between the government of Ghana and middle-man Sheikh Ahmed Dalmook Al Maktoum who was contracted to supply 3.4 million doses of vaccines for the country.
Responding to questions during a Parliamentary probe into the termination of the contract, on Monday, the Minister admitted to procuring the vaccines without the approval of the House.
This was in clear contravention of requirements of Article 181(5) of the 1992 Constitution.
But explaining that the decision was taken to save the citizenry during the heat of the second wave of the pandemic, Mr. Agyeman-Manu said he was desperate to get vaccines and was frustrated because regular vaccine supply sources had failed.
"I had plans to come to seek approval from the House after I have signed the contract. But [due to] my frustrations to try to get vaccines for us at the heat of the second wave, I relied on the Executive Instrument 61 passed by Parliament and hid behind emergency clauses that have been invoked to do that and come to Parliament and inform the House
that this is what I had done and, therefore, I need regularisation and need the approval to provide it," he said.
How the contract with Sheikh Ahmed Dalmook Al Maktoum ended
The Health Minister on Thursday, July 15, 2021, announced that government’s contract with middle-man Sheikh Ahmed Dalmook Al Maktoum to supply the country with Sputnik V vaccines had been terminated.
Addressing the Parliamentary Committee investigating the contracts, Kwaku Agyemang Manu, said the businessman wrote to his outfit on Wednesday to terminate the contract.
He revealed that Sheikh Maktoum’s reason for the decision was because he “is struggling to raise vaccines.”
According to the Minister, Sheikh Al Maktoum had brought the initial consignment to demonstrate the availability of the commodity; however, the suppliers decided to withdraw from the contract after several attempts to get more vaccines from the manufacturers yielded no result.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
26 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
32 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
38 minutes -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
39 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
43 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
49 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
54 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
58 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
1 hour -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
1 hour -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
1 hour -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
1 hour -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
1 hour -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
1 hour -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
1 hour