Audio By Carbonatix
The New Patriotic Party (NPP) Presidential Primaries in the Sunyani East constituency has been put on hold, the Electoral Commission (EC) has confirmed.
Delegates in the constituency would therefore be disenfranchised, as the NPP goes to the poll on Saturday, November 4, to elect a flagbearer to lead the party in the 2024 election.
According to party sources, a high court in Sunyani had set aside the constituency album following an injunction filed by some aggrieved members of the party in relation to the constituency primaries.
In May last year, the High Court in Sunyani ordered the NPP in the Sunyani East Constituency to set aside a purported album used for the constituency elections.
The court, presided over by Douglas Seidu, there hadn’t been “any polling station executive election, neither have they conducted any electoral area coordinator elections. These two elections must come on before the constituency elections.”
The orders followed a suit filed by four members of the party who appealed to the court to set aside the purported album used for the election, claiming it was not properly produced.
The High Court consequently ordered the National Headquarters of the NPP to delete from its national database, names of persons purportedly elected as polling station Executives and Electoral Area Coordinators or Officers for the Sunyani East Constituency.
Meanwhile the Bono Regional Director of the EC, Mr Young Asirifi in an interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Sunyani has confirmed preparations for the conduct of the primary in the region.
He says the EC in the region had received election materials, which had been kept safe at the regional armory, saying all was set for the conduct of the elections, and added the commission had also engaged and trained its electoral officers as well.
Meanwhile, more than 6,000 delegates are expected to cast their ballots in the presidential primary, to be conducted in the 10 remaining constituencies of the region.
Mr Kofi Ofosu Boateng, the Bono Regional Secretary of the NPP told the GNA that “the police have assured us of absolute security.”
“The EC is handling all the electoral processes and arrangements are geared up awaiting tomorrow for the elections,” he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana Sports Fund to rely on lotto, gaming revenue and corporate support — Administrator
3 minutes -
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
6 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
7 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
8 minutes -
KN Foundation, partners donate GHC20,000 and items to Nsawam Prison inmates
10 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund will transform sports infrastructure within five to ten years — NSA boss
13 minutes -
GIB advocates deeper financial sector collaboration for growth
15 minutes -
Children must be supported to discover and develop their talents — Advocate
16 minutes -
One Nation Reggae Festival: Sierra Leone builds cultural bridge between Africa and the Caribbean
17 minutes -
New Metro Mass buses will improve safety, comfort and efficiency — Vice President
18 minutes -
Funny Face declares himself mental health advocate after recovery journey
26 minutes -
KN Foundation outreach: ‘This is not your permanent home’ – Okraku brings hope to Nsawam inmates
34 minutes -
Samson Deen sponsors Para Powerlifting team for African Championship qualification campaign
34 minutes -
Tolon NDC youth petition Asiedu Nketia over killing of party supporter ‘Alhaji’ Haruna Saibu
36 minutes -
Albert Teye wins Kia Ghana World Cup contest grand prize on Joy FM
44 minutes