The Obuasi Golf Club has instituted a Golf Academy to drive the interest of children in golf.
Over 40 children between the ages of six and 14 years are among the first batch of beneficiaries to be groomed in the sport.
Captain of the Obuasi Golf Club, Sarwan Kumar, explains the vision is in sync with the mandate of the Ghana Golf Club to whip up the interest of the youth through early introduction to the game as well as increase female participation.
Speaking at this year’s edition of the Obuasi Captain’s Golf Tournament, Mr. Kumar said sponsorship remains critical to increasing beneficiaries in the future.
The golf tournament was won by Issah Lasina of the Obuasi Golf Club, with Juliet Ayisu of the same club picking the Ladies’ award with 36 points.
The tournament saw over 50 participants drawn from various golf clubs across the country, including the Achimota, Tafo, Damang and Nsuta clubs.
Others include the Center of World and Royal Golf Club in Kumasi.
Sarwan Kumar was impressed with the competitiveness of the tournament, lauding participants for their display of professionalism.
“The program could not have been successful without the support from our sponsors, we continue to thank them and call on them to continue to support golf in Obuasi,” he said.
Meanwhile, President of the Ghana Golf Association, Kwaku Okyere, is excited at the interest shown in promoting the sport.
He disputed the assertion that golf is a lesser-known sport in Ghana with few following.
“For us who play the game, we don’t see golf as a lesser-known sport which plays second fiddle to other popular sports. Golf is life and has no retirement age, you can play it at any age,” he said.
Mr. Okyere indicated the Association is exploring sponsorship opportunities to support the sports nationwide.
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- We would all have sworn to Antoa if my dad was alive – Zanetor Rawlings
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Kamala Harris urges Ghana’s creditors to help meet debt obligation amid IMF talks
- Speculation that NDC imposed its decision on Minority Caucus is untrue – Sammy Gyamfi
- Popular American filmmaker Spike Lee is in Ghana
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- BoG increases policy rate to 29.5%; loans to remain expensive
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- We’re committed to helping Ghana resolve current economic crisis – China assures
- NDC’s ‘betrayal’ may have been the result of several factors – Dr. Seidu Alidu
- Taking pictures, videos of ballots was not a party directive – Murtala Mohammed
- NDC as a party did not fail Ghanaians – Kofi Adams
- There had been broad consultation, consensus to reject President’s ministerial nominees – Murtala Mohammed
- Israel Laryea is away “on loan” at Influencer Africa
- Patriotism won over partisanship – Annoh-Dompreh on approval of six ministerial nominees
- Playback: PM Express discuss NDCs betrayal
- Fight against galamsey will be won if Akufo-Addo loses power – Kwakye Ofosu
- People fail in life due to their mindset – Motivational speaker
- Become the voice of climate change reporting – Climate Change Fellows urged
- Destination Ghana Global Project announces This Is Africa Festival
- Kamala Harris features Black Sherif, Amaarae on Spotify playlist
- Kwaebibirem United FC to raise funds to support operation of the club
- 9-year-old Fotocopy makes history with two concerts in a day
- Ivy Setordjie: Drinking to a warming globe – Part 1