A gender advocacy group has petitioned Parliament to summon and sanction Assin Central legislator, Kennedy Agyapong, for alleging that the Electoral Commission Chair got her job by granting sexual favours.
The group, Federation of Gender and Development Network International, says the Parliamentarian dragged the name of the legislature into disrepute when he made the comments at a mini-rally.
Executive Secretary of the federation Ajara Muhammed says, “we ultimately want the privileges committee of parliament to investigate this dishonorable Member of Parliament, Kennedy Agyapong and find appropriate sanctions to stop his endless attack on women in this country”.
The Federation says the allegations against the EC Chair, Charlotte Osei, have the potential of discouraging women from accepting national duties and taking part in national decision making.
Scores of women in the Eastern Region have also called for the immediate dismissal of Assin Central legislator for his utterances.
At a demonstration on Thursday, the women, many of whom are known members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), said they will petition the Speaker of Parliament to take immediate action against the Parliamentarian.
Mr Agyapong is notorious for making scalding and controversial comments.
He has threatened to provide evidence to back his claims against the EC Chair if pushed.
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- NDC suspects doctoring of Techiman South election summary sheets
- Stolen ring causes teenager’s finger to rot at Pantang
- We’re running into a credibility problem – Kunbour on unanswered calls for NDC’s election 2020 collated figures
- ECG to announce ‘dumsor’ timetable for works on Pokuase BSP
- Kasoa ritual killing: State charges 2 teenage suspects with murder
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
- Daniel Mminele steps down as Absa Group Chief Executive
- Akufo-Addo’s cousin at Noguchi cited for conflict of interest in Frontiers Healthcare contract
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, April 21, 2021
How farmers in Upper East are adopting Agroecology farming methods
SSNIT sets records straight on Weija lands ownership
Queen Elizabeth suffers another loss
Kasoa Murder: Court orders police to ascertain suspect’s age
An unregulated media space, a danger to media freedom – Media Foundation for West Africa
Akufo-Addo’s cousin at Noguchi cited for conflict of interest in Frontiers Healthcare contract
Unemployed jailed 10 years for defilement
University of Energy and Natural Resources to pilot e-motorcycles with solar energy
Fire destroys over 20 containers at Mankessim market
Contracts awarded to Zoomlion, Frontiers Healthcare Solution, others were in breach of procurement practices – Report
Court orders arrest of four for failing to appear before it
Kojo Adaah: Policy measures for sustainable job creation in Ghana
European Super League: All six Premier League teams withdraw from competition
Events Vendors Association executives call on Tourism Minister