Audio By Carbonatix
Scores of patients have been left stranded in hospitals across the country as some health workers have embarked on strike Monday, September 21, 2020.
The nurses, midwives and other service providers followed through with their threats to withdraw their services over what they say is poor conditions of service.
Although the National Labour Commission (NLC) had secured an interlocutory injunction to prevent the action by the Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association (GRNMA), the aggrieved health workers say have not been officially served.
The striking groups include GRNMA, Ghana Physicians Assistants Association and Ghana Association of Registered Anaesthetists among others.
At the country's number one referral centre, Korle Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra, patients who had been left unattended lamented the struggle they have had to endure.
“They are telling us that because they are on strike we should take our patients away. But my question is where to,” a relative of a patient told JoyNews.
Another added that “We came around 7 am and went for our card. But they declined to give it to us because they are not admitting new case because they are on strike.”
The Northern Region was not left out of the fray since the industrial action kicked in on Monday morning.
During her visit to some of the health facilities in the region, Joy News reporter Martina Bugri said that many of them had laid down their tools.
"Normally at the entrance, the nurses are the first group of people you will meet. They will take your vital statistics. That table is completely empty today."
She told Fred Smith on Joy FM's Midday News that many patients have had to jump from one facility to the other while those who came from afar are helpless as to what other options may be available to them.
"I spoke to one patient who tells me she brought in her sister who had blood saw blood when she is vomiting. Up till now she has not seen a doctor and she was in tears," she said of a pregnant patient.
In the North East Region, Eliasu Tanko revealed the action is been replicated in full force.
At the Walewale Hospital, "one of the doctors has already announced at the female ward that all patients should leave and seek healthcare treatment elsewhere."
Reports indicate the development remains unchanged in other regions across the country.
This comes at a time when the health professionals are at the forefront of the fight against the novel coronavirus.
According to the groups, numerous negotiations and meetings on improvement of their conditions of service have failed to yield the desired results.
Latest Stories
-
This week on The Career Trail
2 minutes -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
3 minutes -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
8 minutes -
Ghana will receive final IMF cash of US$318 million immediately after July board approval – Mission Chief
13 minutes -
Arthur Legacy, CAA Base partner to educate players on transfers, branding
18 minutes -
Midie: Children wade through mud daily to go to school
19 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans case is not over – Banking consultant
33 minutes -
Oh Why, Honourable Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin?
49 minutes -
MoGCSP inaugurates, swears in Technical Working Group for new National Plan of Action on elimination of human trafficking
58 minutes -
Charges dismissed against official at school where six-year-old shot teacher
59 minutes -
India has a new political superstar – a cockroach
59 minutes -
Mary Anane Awuku rejects caning, advocates counselling and parental involvement
1 hour -
Many people don’t like sharing their success tips – Mary Anane Awuku
1 hour -
Resurrection of GN Savings and Loans will be tough – Joe Jackson
1 hour -
SanlamAllianz in Ghana sponsors four Ghanaian athletes for 2026 Cape Town Marathon
1 hour