Audio By Carbonatix
The Mayor of Accra, Michael Kpakpo Allotey, has called for a thorough investigation into the Accra New Town school building collapse, insisting that those responsible for oversight must explain how a long-standing structural risk went unaddressed.
Speaking after visiting the scene on Monday, the Mayor said the city shares in the pain of affected families but must also confront the lapses that led to the incident.
“We are sympathizing with the affected families, and we are asking questions — how did this happen?” he said. “The people in charge must answer some questions. What our Vice President said is very true because people must answer why this thing happened.”
His comments reinforce earlier statements by the Vice President, who urged city authorities and education sector managers to account for the condition of the building.
According to the Mayor, the collapsed structure had been standing “for a very long time,” raising concerns about routine inspection and maintenance.
He stressed that public infrastructure, particularly school buildings used by children daily, must receive consistent assessment to prevent tragedies.
The building collapsed on Sunday, March 29, triggering emergency response from NADMO, the Ghana National Fire Service, and the Police. While authorities continue to assess the full extent of damage and determine whether any casualties occurred, the collapse has reignited public debate about the structural integrity of ageing educational facilities across Accra.
Residents say they had long raised concerns about cracks in parts of the building, though it is unclear whether any formal report was filed with the Municipal Assembly before the incident.
The Mayor said the Accra Metropolitan Assembly will cooperate fully with investigators and take action against any officials or contractors found to have been negligent.
“It is the right direction,” he added, noting that accountability is essential to restoring public confidence in the city’s infrastructure management.
Investigations are ongoing, with the Assembly expected to issue a preliminary report in the coming days.
Latest Stories
-
I’ll consider review — Oppong Nkrumah hints at next move after Supreme Court dismisses injunction
3 minutes -
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
19 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
22 minutes -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
26 minutes -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
29 minutes -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
36 minutes -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
51 minutes -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
1 hour -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
1 hour -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
1 hour -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
1 hour -
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
1 hour -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
2 hours -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
2 hours -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
3 hours