Plans are underway to decouple the office of the Registrar of Companies from the Registrar-General’s Department, the Registrar General, Jemima Oware, has said.
According to her, this is in fulfilment of the Companies’ Act (2019), Act 992, which was passed on May 2, 2019, and received Presidential assent on August 2, 2019.
Speaking during the stakeholders’ engagement of the 4th Directors’ Week Celebration organised by the Institute of Directors Ghana (IoD-Ghana), she explained that this new office shall be a financially autonomous body solely concerned with businesses.
“An 11 member board together with the Registrar of Companies who would be different from the Registrar-General is also to be constituted to oversee this new office,” she said.
“All plans are underway to ensure that administratively, this is ensured until such a time as a physical decoupling is completed to fulfil the Act in totality,” she added.
According to Jemima Oware, with the establishment of the Office of the Registrar of Companies, there would also be the establishment of an Insolvency Services Division to regulate insolvency practice under the Act.
“This includes but is not limited to having the oversight of the administration, restructuring and insolvency proceedings of companies and receiving reports from insolvency practitioners on their administration of insolvencies, a Compliance Unit and a more empowered Company inspectorate Division to enhance supervision and ensure stricter compliance by Companies in meeting their regulatory obligations,” she stated.
Describing Act 992 as a very forward-looking piece of legislation, she said it would introduce more robust laws on Corporate Governance, Beneficial Ownership and will promote the ease of doing business.
“The Act features various new sanctions and seeks to promote compliance to enhance corporate governance,” she stated.
The annual Directors’ Week Celebration is an event that brings directors and members of the Institute together to build their capacity, network, and share ideas on promoting directorship and professionalism in their respective spheres of influence.
The theme for this year’s event is ‘Good corporate governance and ethical leadership; an essential requirement for an organisational turnaround’.
The ongoing 4th edition of the Directors’ Week Celebration will be celebrated virtually from November 16 to 19.
- Asamoah Gyan’s run, Bagbin’s dance and Black Stars fans’ clean-up as fans celebrate S. Korea win in style
- Paa Kwesi Schandorf: 5 things Otto Addo must fix after our game with South Korea
- 2022 World Cup: Mohammed Kudus inspires Black Stars to beat South Korea
- Norway Appeal Court dismisses Oslo chancery building case against Ghana
- Social media reacts to Black Stars line-up against South Korea
- Police arrest 7 gunmen who stormed hospital in attempt to kill teen
- MTN Ghana to deactivate over 5.7 million subscribers SIM cards
- ADB appoints Yakubu-Tali as new MD
- 2022 World Cup: Andre Ayew, Kudus could miss Uruguay clash with yellow cards against South Korea
- Policy rate hits 27%; loans to become more expensive
- Doctor advocates Kangaroo Mother Care to keep preterm babies warm
- 2023 budget was designed for the bourgeoisie, no hope for industry – Anthony Morrison
- ‘Council of State is receiving more money than the Food and Agric Ministry’ – Joe Jackson
- Infrastructural development, reforms not adequate – Torgbuiga Adzonugaga Amenya Fiti V
- Africa Faith and Justice Network support victims of early child marriage
- Meteo predicts intense dry weather conditions in coming days
- Government’s decision to withdraw FX support for rice imports not well thought through – Senyo Hosi
- GHOSPA petitions NHIA to revise prices of medicines
- 2023 budget mere rhetoric, without real substance to it – Senyo Hosi
- National Vaccine Institute is 95 per cent complete – Dr Nsiah-Asare
- Ghana Science Association calls for application for Young Scientist Essay Challenge 2022
- Akufo-Addo congratulates Black Stars for South Korea’s defeat
- 2022 FIFA WC: Ghanaians should expect more from us – Gideon Mensah after Ghana’s win
- Playback: PM Express discuss the 2023 Budget
- Police investigate chief over alleged support for nomads suspected of robbery attacks at Ejura