The Police administration has deployed a forensic team, including ballistic experts to the Bono East Regional town of Nkoranza to probe circumstances that led to the death of 28-year-old Albert Akwasi Donkor.
A statement issued on Sunday, May 22 added that the initial investigations by the Police Professional Standards Bureau (PPSB) is ongoing and will be extended to include the police’s response to the mob attacks by some youth over Albert’s death.
As investigations continue, the Police say they have provided adequate security and ensured calm in the area.
“The Police announce for the information of the public that through sustained operations, the law and order situation in Nkoranza and its environs has been restored and the Police are in firm control of the security of the area.
“We wish to assure the public that we will continue to work to ensure justice is served to the satisfaction of all stakeholders,” parts of the statement stated.
One person died, while several others sustained injuries after the youth of Nkoranza clashed with the Police to protest Albert Donkor’s death.
The youth have been demanding justice for a 28-year-old trader, Albert Akwasi Donkor, who is suspected to have been killed by the Police in connection with an alleged robbery.
Their protest led to the death of 19-year-old Victor Owusu, a final-year student of the Nkoranza Technical Institute.
According to the Police, all persons arrested have been remanded into lawful custody and put before court.
“We are pursuing others who have been identified for their involvement in the violent attacks and who escaped from lawful custody to bring them to face justice.https://www.myjoyonline.com/nkoranza-clash-police-re-arrest-1-murder-suspect-who-escaped-from-custody.
“However, we would like to caution those who are capitalising on the crisis for their own interests to desist from it since that will not deter us from executing our constitutional mandate,” the Police warned.
Below is the full statement:
- Exclusive: Lighthouse pastor in Madagascar speaks out on Larry Odonkor’s car sale saga
- I criticised Mahama and slept soundly – Prof Aning
- Swearing in of newly-elected GJA president blocked as journalist files injunction
- UDS graduate ventures into mobile car washing business after years of job dissatisfaction
- Shatta Wale fined ¢2k after pleading guilty to publication of false news
- Barker-Vormawor trial: Court orders AG to provide security report on alleged treasonable activities
- I slept at the cemetery because it was peaceful and comfortable – Founder of Cultivating Minds Foundation
- Check out how your favourite celebrities showed up at Mona4Reall’s birthday party
- ¢5m payment to NDA contravenes PPA approval in alleged signature forgery in ¢10m case
- Chadwick Boseman died without a will. Now his wife and parents will share his estate
Arise Ghana Demo: 2 officers undergo surgery, 15 others receive treatment
Growing mob and violent mentality amongst youth worrying – Criminologist
Arise Ghana protestors granted bail
Pay cost of living allowances or face our wrath – GNAT tells government
Caught in Conflict: Procurement Specialist joins calls for probe into allegations
2022 CAF Awards: Ghana’s Kamaldeen Sulemana nominated for Young Player of the Year
Photos from one-sixteenth stage of Luv FM High School Debate
New GJA executives sworn into office
Dismissed PPA CEO explains the millions in his bank accounts
Man arrested for slapping MP at church in Uganda
Chinese builders unveil Zimbabwe’s new parliament
Joy FM’s Animwaa Anim-Addo ties the knot
Check out how your favourite celebrities showed up at Mona4Reall’s birthday party
Black Galaxies coach Annor Walker targets CHAN trophy
Asante Kotoko in talks with Fabio Gama over contract extension