Audio By Carbonatix
The Overlord of Dagbon, Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II, has conferred the title ‘Dagbon Malti-Naa Abudani I’ on the President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.
The conferment took place on Saturday, November 16, at the celebration of this year’s Damba Festival, in Yendi, the first time the festival is being celebrated in over thirty (30) years.
This is in recognition of the role President Akufo-Addo has played in bringing last peace to Dagbon.
In his remarks, the Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II stated that he took over the leadership of Dagbon at a time when the challenges appeared vast and insurmountable.
“However, I take solace in the fact that with a united Dagbon, and a supportive government, we will overcome those challenges and chart a new path of peace and development,” he said.
The Yaa-Na stated that “we have just emerged from a crisis that began almost seven decades ago, thanks to your government’s unrelenting efforts in helping us to resolve our succession crisis. I want to express the gratitude of the Chiefs and people of Dagbↄŋ to Your Excellency, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, for the great role played by you and your government to get us where we are today.”
Thanking the Yaa-Naa for “the gracious gesture and honour”, the President told the gathering that, up until then, he had been satisfied with his self-conferred title of Prince Abudani.
This title, was however, made official and expanded by Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II, to ‘Dagbon Malti Naa Abudani I’.
“Thank you very much, Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II, Overlord of Dagbon, and I promise you that I will do my best to live up to the title,” President Akufo-Addo added.
It will be recalled that in November 2018, the Committee of Eminent Chiefs presented the final report of the Road Map for bringing an end to the Dagbon crisis, which culminated, in January this year, in the enskinment of Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II, bringing an end to the 17-year-old crisis.
At the enskinment ceremony of Yaa-Na Abukari Mahama, on January 25, President Akufo-Addo stated that “I am neither Abudu nor Andani, I am ‘Abudani’, a person who stands for unity, reconciliation and progress in Dagbon.”
In his remarks, the Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II stated that he took over the leadership of Dagbon at a time when the challenges appeared vast and insurmountable.
“However, I take solace in the fact that with a united Dagbon, and a supportive government, we will overcome those challenges and chart a new path of peace and development,” he said.
The Yaa-Na stated that “we have just emerged from a crisis that began almost seven decades ago, thanks to your government’s unrelenting efforts in helping us to resolve our succession crisis. I want to express the gratitude of the Chiefs and people of Dagbↄŋ to Your Excellency, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, for the great role played by you and your government to get us where we are today.”
Thanking the Yaa-Naa for “the gracious gesture and honour”, the President told the gathering that, up until then, he had been satisfied with his self-conferred title of Prince Abudani.
This title, was however, made official and expanded by Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II, to ‘Dagbon Malti Naa Abudani I’.
“Thank you very much, Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II, Overlord of Dagbon, and I promise you that I will do my best to live up to the title,” President Akufo-Addo added.
It will be recalled that in November 2018, the Committee of Eminent Chiefs presented the final report of the Road Map for bringing an end to the Dagbon crisis, which culminated, in January this year, in the enskinment of Yaa-Na Mahama Abukari II, bringing an end to the 17-year-old crisis.
At the enskinment ceremony of Yaa-Na Abukari Mahama, on January 25, President Akufo-Addo stated that “I am neither Abudu nor Andani, I am ‘Abudani’, a person who stands for unity, reconciliation and progress in Dagbon.”
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
39 minutes -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
42 minutes -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
48 minutes -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
55 minutes -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
1 hour -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
1 hour -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
1 hour -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
1 hour -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
1 hour -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
1 hour -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
1 hour -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
1 hour -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
1 hour -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
2 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
2 hours