The country’s private sector activity expanded for the first time in a year as Ghana’s Purchasing Managers Index increased to 50.2 in February 2023, from 47.2 in January 2023, data from the Bank of Ghana has revealed.
With indications of strengthening demand, production and new orders returned to growth.
In addition, the purchasing activity rebounded, ending a 14-month decline, while inventory levels rose at the fastest rate since September 2021.
On the pricing front, input costs climbed at the slowest rate in a year, but still significantly, as both purchase prices and labour expenses rose.
Databank Research believes private sector activity will continue to recover as business sentiments improve.
In December 2022, the consumer and business confidence surveys conducted pointed to a marginal improvements in sentiments.
The Consumer Confidence Index increased to 79.2 in December 2022 from 73.9 in October 2022 on the back of the recent reductions in ex-pump petroleum prices and transportation fares.
The Business Confidence Index also improved to 75.7 from 72.6 in the same comparative period due to the achievement of short-term targets and optimism about company and industry prospects, following the rebound of the local currency.
- 50 people injured after accident involving 4 cars on Kasoa-Weija road
- Assin North by-election: EC denies NDC’s accusation of inserting candidate’s name in voters register
- Nogokpo saga: Perez Chapel Bishop declares week-long fast over controversy
- Encourage acquisition, mergers of banks and NBFIs if needed – IMF tells government
- Agya Koo’s new plush mansion which got social media talking
- Two police officers injured as ghetto boys escape with handcuffs during arrest at Gomoa Nyanyano
- June 4 uprising occurred for far less than what is happening in Ghana today – Mahama
- ‘I can’t believe I am here’ – Tariq Lamptey on his first start at the World Cup for Ghana
- Assin North by-election: NDC accuses NPP, EC of plotting to insert an unqualified candidate’s name in voters register
- betPawa PL: Hearts of Oak lose 4th consecutive game; Medeama drop points
- Davido reveals how he met his wife, Chioma
- Apple expected to launch mixed-reality headset at WWDC
- Gaddafi’s son goes on hunger strike in Lebanon – lawyer
- Ghetto Kids lose out in Britain’s Got Talent final
- NDC must set new standards in governance when voted into power – Mahama
- Energy sector debt: Some contracts expensive, could have been avoided – Former VRA CEO
- School feeding programme: Caterers reject proposed increment to ¢1.20 per child
- Burna Boy makes history in London with sellout stadium show
- UEW staff write to Akufo-Addo to remove Governing Council Chair over abuse of office, appointment of VC
- Savannah Traditional Council working to resolve Gonja-Mamprusi conflict
- Woman jailed over infant deaths pardoned
- Ecobank Ghana supports Zero Malaria Business Leadership Initiative with $120,000
- Prince Harry accused of ‘wasting time’
- Billie Jean King Cup: Richard Ayi Dartey announces Ghana’s squad
- Five bills expected to be laid as Parliament reconvenes tomorrow