Sergio Ramos had two penalties saved on the night he became the most capped male European player as Spain drew with Switzerland in the Nations League.
Ramos was winning his 177th cap, taking him past Gianluigi Buffon’s record – but it was a game to forget.
The 34-year-old had his first penalty saved by Yann Sommer as he tried to place it in the corner.
His second was an attempted chip which barely left the ground as Sommer held on to it.
He had scored his previous 25 attempts for Spain and Real Madrid.
“Sergio’s numbers for penalties are out of this world,” said Spain boss Luis Enrique.
“If there had been a third penalty, he would have taken that one as well.”
Borussia Monchengladbach keeper Sommer told Swiss broadcaster SRF: “I’ve come up against Ramos in the Champions League recently, so that means I’ve been previously engaged in preparing for his penalties.
“I think he wanted to chip the second one, but it worked out well for me.”
Both of those spot-kicks were with Spain 1-0 down following Remo Freuler’s clever finish from Breel Embolo’s cross.
The hosts ended with 10 men after Nico Elvedi was shown a second yellow card for fouling Alvaro Morata for Spain’s second penalty.
Spain eventually equalised through Gerard Moreno’s 89th-minute finish from Sergio Reguilon’s cross.
Spain must now beat Germany in Seville on Tuesday to reach next year’s Nations League finals.
Switzerland – who have not won a game in almost a year – would have been relegated to League B had they lost.
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- My loss to Manny Pacquiao was deliberate – Joshua Clottey
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Cedi continues recent gain against dollar; $1 now ¢10.40
- Over 1000 dead as huge quake toppled buildings in Turkey and Syria while people slept
- Let’s continue to pray for Christian Atsu – Mahama to Ghanaians
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- We’ve amicably resolved impasse over change in Minority Leadership – NDC Council of Elders
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- SMEs without certification could lose out on ACFTA benefits – Trade Ministry warns
- Livestream: PM Express discusses DDEP and government’s trust deficit
- All set for Kwabena Kwabena’s ‘Vitamilk Love Night’ show on Feb. 11
- Non-participation in DDEP will prolong efforts to resolve current economic crisis – Ofori-Atta
- If you want to get the best out of your employee, compensate them – HR Instructor advises employers
- Sign up for debt exchange ahead of deadline – Ofori-Atta counsels bondholders
- Joy Entertainment Unpacked: Highlighting Guiltybeatz’s Grammys recognition
- Turkey earthquake: Atsu pulled out of rubble alive, says Portugese portal
- DDEP will bring economic stability and growth – Finance Minister
- Ankaful inmates get medical supplies from Tobinco Pharmaceuticals
- Suame traders fume; resist planned demolition of market
- Jesse Morgan recruits Celestine Donkor for inspiring single, Wataban (Wings of God)
- Diaspora Girls’ Senior High School launches 20th anniversary celebration