Former Health Minister Joseph Yieleh Chireh is kicking against proposals for the reopening of churches and schools as the country continues to record more Covid-19 cases.
The Member of Parliament for Wa West who was contributing to a statement on the floor by Nsawam-Adoagyiri MP, Frank Annor Dompreh on the need for an African solution to fight the virus, said government should not be pressurised to lift current restrictions put in place to prevent a spread of the virus.
“My position on this matter is very clear we have to hasten slowly because even in France where schools were opened, they had to close it again. This means that with this disease we have to find a good way to manage it. Societies are still struggling to find the true nature of this virus.”
He used the opportunity to urge government to up its game to prevent widespread of the virus and stop giving false hopes to Ghanaians.
“Today, MPs had their samples taken and we are waiting for the results. If about 20 people test positive, where will they be kept? So I plead that more importantly, government will take more steps to address this. They should not be pretending as if the pandemic is over”.
Presenting his statement on the floor, the Adoagyiri MP, Annoh Dompreh called on governments in Africa to resource their indigenous companies to find a cure to the virus.
He also commended government for allocating 600 million as soft loans to Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) in the country.
Contributing to the debate, MP for North Tongu, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said the Covid-19 fight has gone beyond health crisis to national security and economic crisis.
Mr. Ablakwa also commended government for accepting the herbal medicine alleged to be a vaccine from Madagascar and charged the FDA to expedite its efficacy test for treatment in Ghana.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- Where’s the so-called excess capacity? – John Jinapor quizzes government over load shedding timetable
- Proposed taxes are draconian – Seth Terkper
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- We need a hospital built purposely for Members of Parliament – Henry Quartey
- North Dayi District Assembly committed to improving livelihoods of PwDs – DCE
- High Court issues bench warrant for Savelugu MP
- Enterprise Group PLC appoints Keli Gadzekpo as Group Chairman
- We hope our colleagues will help pass the 3 tax measures – Oppong Nkrumah
- Justice system has not worked for Gyakye Quayson, Assin North constituents – Mahama
- Oscar Pistorius parole bid collapses in South Africa
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Health officer in court for allegedly defiling two teenagers at Nkwanta
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ7k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Online safety: Fund seeks applicants for grant awards
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display