Rescuers have retrieved the body of a child from the Oti River at Kete-Krachi following a boat accident.
The Kete-Krachi Police Commander, Assistant Superintendent of Police, Samuel Nkrumah, told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that the body of Momkokpamo was retrieved by divers at about 1900 hours on Wednesday when the boat capsized in a storm at Krachi West District of the Oti Region.
ASP Nkrumah said five others involved in the boat accident were rescued by divers after the incident and rushed to the Krachi West District hospital.
He said three of the victims were on admission while two were discharged.
Mr Nkrumah said the Naval officer, Mr C. O. Boakye warned boat operators of an approaching storm and cautioned operators to allow the strong winds to subside but the operator of the accident boat defied the order.
Mr Nkrumah said the accident occurred just about 300m from the landing beach at Kete-Krachi after the operator set sail heading towards Nkomi, a suburb of Sene East in the Bono region.
He said the incident was witnessed by people at the overbank, who organised the rescue mission to save the five.
Meanwhile, the body of the deceased was given to the parents for burial while the operator of the boat is being sought by the Police.
He appealed to the public to assist in the arrest of the operator.
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
1975 Sekondi College year group visits alma mater
Authorities of Cape Coast School for the Deaf and Blind appeal for infrastructural support
Classroom block for Islamic School commissioned in Akatsi North
DR Congo: 30 sentenced to death over anti-police clashes
PPP backs calls for independent probe into alleged assault of Caleb Kudah
Bawumia endorses Ghana’s candidate for Commonwealth Youth Council
Livestream: 5th edition Ghana CEO Summit
Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
GIPC hints of 5 years tax holidays for aquaculture investors
PharmAccess’ Dr Maxwell Antwi appointed to UHC2030 Advisory Group
Assault on journalists: Media Groups call for restructuring of National Security agency among others
Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Galamsey: Desilting and dredging of the Offin river underway
Enhance babies’ food with micronutrient powder – Nutrition Officer