Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Roads and Highways, Governs Kwame Agbodza, has dismissed claims by the NPP Ashanti Caucus that government is deliberately reducing the Suame Interchange from a four-tier structure to a weaker alternative, describing the assertion as misleading and lacking proper context.
According to the Minister, the redesign is a response to new infrastructure developments within the greater Kumasi road network.
He explained that the original four-tier design was justified at the time because Suame served as the primary link between the Ashanti Region and the northern parts of the country via the N10 and IR4 routes.
“At the time of its design, it offered the only credible connection from the Ashanti Region to the northern parts of the country,” the Minister said.
However, Mr Agbodza noted that the construction of the Kumasi Outer Ring Road under the Big Push Programme has fundamentally altered traffic patterns.
“Construction of the Kumasi Outer Ring Road will divert most of the traffic up north from the city centre. Suame will therefore require less capacity than previously projected,” he stated.
The Minister stressed that the proposed modification removes only the fourth-tier bridge due to excessive expropriation and compensation costs, adding that the adjustment would ultimately deliver “better value for money” to the people of Kumasi.
Latest Stories
-
Africa to maintain steady growth over next three years – Bridgewater Advisors
37 minutes -
Queiroz unavailable as Desmond Offei to lead Black Stars against Mexico
40 minutes -
2026 Legacy Expo to reposition Africa’s beauty and wellness economy
53 minutes -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP establish special-purpose company to drive Tema Industrial Park project
1 hour -
Ablakwa clarifies South Africa evacuation reports, assures support for all Ghanaians
1 hour -
Today’s Front pages: Friday, May 22, 2026
1 hour -
Africa urged to overhaul climate finance rules and regulations to unlock investment
2 hours -
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
2 hours -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
3 hours -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
3 hours -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
3 hours -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
3 hours -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
3 hours -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
3 hours -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
3 hours