Audio By Carbonatix
Rwanda has said it is pulling out of a central African regional bloc after a diplomatic row over its involvement in the conflict in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The country was supposed to take up the chairman role of the Economic Community of Central African States (Eccas), which rotates between its 11 members.
But it was prevented from doing so at a meeting on Saturday in Equatorial Guinea.
Announcing its decision to leave Eccas, Rwanda said its right to take up the "chairmanship… was deliberately ignored in order to impose the DRC's diktat".
As a result it "sees no justification for remaining in an organisation whose current functioning runs counter to its founding principles and intended purpose".
The row comes as efforts to end the fighting in eastern DR Congo continue. Following US mediation, Rwanda and DR Congo are working on a draft peace plan that is expected to be signed later this month.
According to a statement from the Congolese presidency, the Eccas leaders at the summit "acknowledged the aggression against the Democratic Republic of Congo by Rwanda and ordered the aggressor country to withdraw its troops from Congolese soil".
It added that until the dispute is resolved it was decided that Equatorial Guinea would remain in the chairman role "to the detriment of Rwanda".
In a comment directed at Rwanda, Congolese government spokesperson Patrick Muyaya said that "one cannot continually and voluntarily violate the principles that underpin our regional institutions and claim to want to preside over them".
He added that the Eccas decision "should inspire other regional organisations to adopt a firmer stance against Rwanda".
Rwanda has been accused of supporting M23 rebels in the east of DR Congo. The group has made major advances at the beginning of the year, taking the key regional cities of Goma and Bukavu.
DR Congo's government, as well as the US and France, have identified Rwanda as backing the M23.
Last year, a UN experts' report said that up to 4,000 Rwandan troops were fighting alongside the rebels.
But Rwanda has denied the accusations saying instead that its troops were deployed along its border to prevent the conflict spilling over to its territory.
Rwanda has once before, in 2007, left Eccas, whose mission is to foster co-operation and strengthen regional integration in central Africa. It rejoined several years later.
Latest Stories
-
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
1 minute -
Hostel Owners Association accuse Rent Control of threats, unfair treatment to operators
7 minutes -
NSA opens special desk to resolve Ghana Card, school biodata mismatches
9 minutes -
Ghana hosts Kenya, Netherlands, South Africa for talks on turning climate plans into action
26 minutes -
‘Now it’s action, no talking’ – Rent Control cracks whip on hostel operators
29 minutes -
GACC, Save Our Environment Foundation train Tano South residents on corruption and accountability
31 minutes -
MOGMusic to headline Ransomed Ministries Ghana’s Total Worship 2026
35 minutes -
Multimedia Group pays courtesy call on Petrosol ahead of GSE listing
44 minutes -
Gov’t acknowledges unresolved grievances over mining damage, displacement
45 minutes -
Joy FM to host maiden Back-to-School PrayerFest ahead of new academic year
48 minutes -
Ghana must legislate minimum community development obligations for mining companies – Mireku Duker
57 minutes -
GoldBod costs could have been minimised with better planning – Prof. Bokpin
59 minutes -
GoldBod operations imposing losses on BoG balance sheet – Prof Bokpin
1 hour -
Mining must improve lives in host communities, not just national figures – Presidency
1 hour -
Nigeria influencer arrested after seizure of cocaine worth $28m destined for the UK
1 hour