Audio By Carbonatix
Senegal President Bassirou Diomaye Faye on Thursday dissolved the opposition-led national assembly, clearing the way for early legislative elections on Nov. 17.
In an evening address, Faye, who came to power in April, said working with the assembly had grown difficult after members refused to start discussions on the budget law and rejected efforts to dissolve wasteful state institutions.
"I dissolve the national assembly to ask the sovereign people for the institutional means to bring about the systemic transformation that I have promised to deliver," Faye said in his brief speech, in which he announced the date for voting.
Thursday marked the two-year anniversary of the parliament, the minimum time that must elapse before a new legislative election.
Thursday's move followed earlier promises by firebrand Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko to dissolve the national assembly and launch a wide-ranging probe into government corruption.

Faye defeated the ruling coalition candidate in a landslide victory in March, promising to crack down on corruption and introduce economic reforms that prioritize the national interest.
Senegal's new government last month set up a commission to review all oil and gas contracts. Sonko has promised to rebalance them in the national interest, without providing details on how long the review will take.
Senegal became a new oil producer in June after Australia's Woodside Energy (WDS.AX), opens new tab announced that its Sangomar oil and gas field had produced its first oil.
Gas production is also due to begin by the end of the year at the Greater Tortue Ahmeyim liquefied natural gas project, operated by BP
Latest Stories
-
We are not intervening in the market but building reserves – BoG Governor on cedi pressures
6 minutes -
Supreme Court suit challenges Ghana’s criminal libel and false news laws
7 minutes -
Ghana Immigration Service secures conviction of West African national for using forged document
8 minutes -
Sodzi Sodzi-Tettey: One year of working for John Mahama
13 minutes -
Middle East crisis remains major risk despite strong domestic economy – BoG governor
20 minutes -
Peace Council calls for calm amid rising political tensions
23 minutes -
Arrest to prosecute not persecute – Haruna Mohammed tells NDC government
24 minutes -
Bawumia urges NPP MPs to position party as “government-in-waiting” ahead of 2028 elections
24 minutes -
‘He sold his cow to repay debt’ – How headmistress forced ex-staff to return wrongly paid salary
30 minutes -
Non-performing loans expected to decline further as new banking guidelines take effect –Dr. Asiama
32 minutes -
Court documents filed by Joana Quaye challenge RNAQ’s ‘sole founder’ claim over Quick Credit
33 minutes -
John Boadu declares bid for NPP National Chairmanship after meeting Minority Caucus
44 minutes -
Ghana Immigration Service trains 40 officers ahead of E-Visa rollout
1 hour -
MPC maintains policy rate at 14.0% after 130th meeting
1 hour -
Sierra Leone receives first group of West African deportees from US
1 hour