Audio By Carbonatix
Deputy Minority Whip, Ahmed Ibrahim says President Akufo-Addo has been cautioned by the National Security Minister that any attempt to deactivate SIM cards could destabilise the peace in the country.
According to the lawmaker, this explains why the National Communications Authority (NCA) reversed its plans of rolling out a partial restriction on voice calls last month.
Mr Ibrahim is, therefore, puzzled by the insistence of Sector Minister, Ursula Owusu Ekuful to proceed with the deactivation of SIM cards.
Although the Authority says it will not be able to print all outstanding Ghana National Identification Cards, the sole document for the verification of the chips, the NCA says the directives of the Minister are still in force.
However, speaking on The Pulse, Thursday, September 29 2022, the Member of Parliament for Banda who also serves on the Communications Committee in Parliament told host, Blessed Sogah that President Akufo-Addo has been cautioned by the National Security Ministry against blocking the SIM cards owing to the potential threats to the stability of the country.
“The two-day blockage of people’s SIM cards, the National Security Ministry had to go to the Presidency to talk to them that the country was about to be destabilized before the SIM cards were released. They will not go ahead to tell you this but that was the practical situation that happened. Ghanaians were furious and they nearly exploded,” he said.
Meanwhile, JoyNews checks at some registration centers across the country a day before the September 30 deadline indicate that many Ghanaians for some days now have besieged the centres with the same complaint of inability to register their SIM cards.
Latest Stories
-
Three miners killed in rock collapse at Gbane
16 minutes -
Awudome, Osu cemeteries not full — Managers
17 minutes -
Africa’s grand stage of honour: Why Ghana hosts POTY 2026
24 minutes -
Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ‘cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents
34 minutes -
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
42 minutes -
Government assures public of stable ‘fugu’ prices amid Wednesday-wearing policy
46 minutes -
Ghana on track for full-scale tomato production by year-end – Deputy Agric Minister
50 minutes -
Danny Addo to host Undignified 1.0 event and album launch
51 minutes -
Obaapanin Mary Adwoa Ohenewa Awuah
52 minutes -
Afia Adepa Kwarteng thanks God with ‘Oguama Mogya’ mini album after surviving life-threatening surgery
54 minutes -
Mahama consoles families after terrorist attack kills 7 Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso
58 minutes -
John Jinapor rallies support for Gonjaland Youth Association’s Golden Jubilee Congress in Buipe
59 minutes -
‘We must use this crisis to pivot’ – Mahama urges local processing as cocoa sector reels
1 hour -
State initiates compensation talks in Latif Iddrisu Police brutality case after eight years
1 hour -
Gov’t engaging Burkinabe authorities to protect Ghanaian tomato traders – Dumelo
1 hour
