The architect working on the National Cathedral, Sir David Adjaye has dismissed assertions that his firm, Adjaye Associates, is unduly benefitting from the project.
Speaking in an exclusive interview with JoyNews Maxwell Agbagba, on the sidelines of the Black Star Line Festival Summit, he noted that there is nothing wrong with having a healthy debate on the edifice and its funding.
However, Mr Adjaye believes that it is sad to rather make accusations without any foundation when the needed information about the project is already out in the open.
“Everybody should have an opinion and talk about how they feel about everything. Things should be allowed to be investigated and checked till everybody feels comfortable. There is nothing hidden or opaque, everything is going through the system that can be checked through the government,” he said.
Mr Adjaye added that it is important for people to make their arguments based on the facts.
“What is really sad and boring is when people just make accusations based on anything, that is not actually investigating. Fake investigations really reflect badly on the people who are investigating. I think all the information is in the public realm and people are ignoring to look at the information and are saying things that are counter to what is out there in the public realm,” he stated.
The Adjaye Associates led by Sir David Adjaye proposed the design for the National Cathedral project.
Among others things, payments made to the firm came under scrutiny in 2022.
On Monday, January 2, the Executive Director of the National Cathedral Secretariat, Dr Paul Opoku-Mensah said that it is untrue that the National Cathedral Secretariat is unable to account for some of the money released to them by the government.
He disclosed that the government has spent GHS339 million on the project out of which GHS113 million had been paid to the design firm.
“The total amount paid by the government of Ghana to the project is GHȼ339 million. The amount is made up of the following; amount paid directly to the secretariat is GHȼ225 million and the amount paid directly to the consultant, Adjaye Associates is GHȼ113m. The two payments total GHȼ339m.”
Dr Opoku-Mensah noted that “There are no missing funds that could not be accounted for. The detailed accounting for this fund was provided to Parliament on December 15, 2022 by the Secretariat.”
- Father and daughter die in a gory accident at Ejisu-Onwe
- Celebrities, luxury cars flood social media as Kwame Despite sparks reaction with birthday
- Bodies of 10 civilians allegedly killed by soldiers released to families for burial
- 12 persons arrested for involvement in robbery, murder cases
- I couldn’t attend PRESEC-Legon because our cocoa farm got burnt – Seth Terkper
- Women have been misled about menopause says New York Times
- ‘I am a fixer, not a talker’ – Dr Osei Adutwum tells critics
- It is unreasonable for Opuni’s case to drag on for 6 years – Attorney General
- Ghana’s School of Shame: My statement was ‘photoshopped’ – Dr Adutwum
- There is no biometric record of Victor Kusi Boateng in our database – NIA tells Ablakwa
- Blakk Rasta slams Efya after ‘who is he?’ statement
- Playing at the World Cup was a dream – Kamaldeen Sulemana
- Shegah bounces back with new single, ‘Cool Chop’
- Don’t engage military in combat – Upper East REGSEC to Bawku residents
- I feel pain after sex with my husband of 9 years, I don’t know how to tell him – Emotionally troubled woman
- Andre Ayew set to reunite with Steve Cooper at Nottingham Forest
- We ‘neutralised’ 6 armed men in Bawku – GAF on allegations of killing 7 locals
- Mason Greenwood attempted rape charges dropped
- Military officers rescue NEDCo staff locked up for disconnecting UDS from power supply
- AGI unhappy with level of tariffs increment for beverage sector; warns of collapse of industries
- eTranzact adjudged ‘Leading Fintech Solution Provider’, grabs 2 other top awards
- Nigeria election: Biometric voting system, other reforms commendable –
- My goal is to make an impact with my craft – DWP Academy US manager
- Birim River is one of the most polluted water bodies – Cecilia Dapaah
- France defender Varane retires from international football