We’ll take a step away from UK news for the moment to take a look at the situation in South Africa, where the variant Omicron was first identified.
The country has recorded a sharp increase in Covid-19 infections which have doubled since Monday.
Health officials say the newly discovered Omicron variant may be fuelling the surge, but it isn’t clear how many of the new cases it accounts for.
Some 8,500 infections have been registered in the last 24 hours.
The United States has identified its first Omicron case in someone who had returned to the country from South Africa.
Many questions about the new variant remain to be answered, including whether it is more transmissible and how much protection current vaccines provide.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- EIU revises global growth forecast for 2023 to 2%
- Actor Mawuli Gavor and wife expecting first child
- Growth and Sustainability Levy breaches petroleum agreement, could trigger ligation – Petroleum Chamber
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Lamisi honoured in Netherlands for promoting Ghanaian culture
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- JessiEmma releases ‘Amazing Grace’, a love song to God
- Producer Price Inflation falls to 50.8% in February 2023
- Debt Exchange: Insurers to re-strategise to avert threats to prompt payment of claims
- Shatta Wale gives conditions for return to VGMA
- Heeding Mahama’s advice would have prevented us from going to IMF on a stretcher – Sammy Gyamfi to Akufo-Addo
- “Consider cocoa pricing in your legislation”- COCOBOD Chief tells EU
- Former Black Stars player Emmanuel Oblitey dies at 69
- Mahama to speak on transparent financing of political campaigns today
- Eno Barony raps better than many male rappers in Ghana – Medikal