South Sudanese activist Peter Biar Ajak, who has been a critic of the country’s government, has fled to the US.
He said in a tweet that a death squad had been sent to kill him.
THANK YOU @SecPompeo & @StateDept officials in D.C., Nairobi & Juba 4 helping my family and me get refuge in the USA after I fled a death squad sent by #SouthSudan President Salva Kiir. Kiir has ruled 9 yrs with an iron fist never facing an election – they MUST happen in Dec ‘21.— Peter Biar Ajak (@AjakPeter) July 24, 2020
The government has denied the allegation, Reuters reports quoting a presidential aide.
“That is complete nonsense. He was here when he was pardoned by the president and allowed to go abroad. He should not associate anything that comes his way with the government of South Sudan,” Ateny Wek Ateny, South Sudan’s presidential press secretary, told Reuters in the capital, Juba.
Mr Ajak was arrested in July 2018 and sentenced to two years in prison in June 2019. He was pardoned by President Salva Kiir and released from prison in January.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah released from National Security custody
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
- Don’t shake your car when fueling – Transport Consultant
4 more die of Covid-19, active cases now 1,519
Eight home-based players included in Ghana’s squad to face Morocco and Ivory Coast
Extraordinary problems require extraordinary measures – Lands Minister justifies burning of excavators
Government’s fight against galamsey camouflage – PPP
Court remands 32 alleged national security operatives accused of mining
Kenyan MPs summoned over bribery claims
#FixTheCountry: Be measured in your expectations of Akufo-Addo due to Covid-19 – Chief of Staff
#FixTheCountry: Pay cut for political leaders will not achieve much – Afenyo-Markin
Kumawood stars grace Mercy Asiedu’s 50th birthday
MTN Ghana donates in support of Eid celebration in Western Region
Inflation rate drifts into single digit of 8.5 per cent in April
Church of Pentecost hands over fully furnished Ejura prison to state
Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship launches inaugural Legatum Foundry Fellowship for entrepreneurs in Africa
Pregnancy should not be a hindrance to your dreams – Nana Adwoa Awindor
Over 90% of ‘rotten’ vehicles at National Security premises distributed – Former MASLOC boss