Audio By Carbonatix
Some Ghanaian footballers stranded in Ethiopia are calling on the Akufo-Addo-led government to evacuate them back to home.
They say that following the closure of the football season in Ethiopia in response to the coronavirus, their various teams have paid them their fees, which at present has been exhausted on food and other utility bills.
According to them, despite their plea to be repatriated to Ghana, the Ghanaian consulate in Ethiopia hasn’t been helpful.
“We have spent all our money on rent and food, and we’ll be evicted from our apartments at the end of the month. We already have our plane tickets all we want is a plane,” one of the players, Muntari Tagoe said.
Another player, Lee Addy said the consulate had asked them to pay an amount of $2000 each before they are repatriated.
“And even with that, they said we will be packed in a cargo plane back to Ghana,” he said.
Their appeal follows the successful return of some 224 Ghanaians stranded in the UK through a special arrangement dubbed "Operation Return Home".
All the returnees, since their arrival at the Kotoka International Airport, were sent into mandatory quarantine at various hotels they booked ahead of touchdown in the country, June 17.
The second and last batch of returnees from the European state arrived in the country on Sunday, June 21, 2020.
The first batch was made up of 108 males, 103 females, nine infants, and four children.
Prior to this, Ghana had earlier conducted similar exercises for some of her nationals in Kuwait and the United States.
The Ghana Embassy in Berlin is also in talks with the Foreign Affairs Ministry to help evacuate citizens in that country as well.
Latest Stories
-
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
2 minutes -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
19 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
22 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
24 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
29 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
35 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
36 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
42 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
54 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
56 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
1 hour -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour