What a shock
I’m sitting across from two women. Beautiful, in fact stunning, smart, fearless, confident, full of life and so open to sharing their lives and successes with other people. And the last thing on my mind is that these two women are Christians.
I mean bible quoting, fasting and praying Christians. I am so emotional about my God kind of Christians.
In a conversation about authenticity, bravery, fire, the courage to take up jobs in Indonesia and Afghanistan, I definitely didn’t expect God. Not the universe kind of God, or the “new age God who doesn’t exist on the outside” nor the “I am” and whatever else” doctrines that exist but the holy spirit, Jesus, the man who sometimes is painted in our culture as one who expects subservience from women, submission at all costs and the permission and approval of a husband to change the world.
I have over belabored my point, I know.
Listening to these two women, I realize that a lot of women do themselves a great disservice by not getting to know God for themselves.
“A man’s perspective of God’s word is not the absolute interpretation of God’s word” – Tucci Goka.
And how true this is …. If from the wells of great grace these two women, who I will say are far from perfect have managed to shatter glass ceilings and continue to do so in the bravest of ways, then do we not owe it to ourselves to get to know this ‘God’ who sends out his daughters into fire and says… “Go! I will go with you”.?
Or this man who says, “I will give you the ability to balance raising children, conquering nations, and being a wife?”
He made me – just the way I am – Charlotte Osei
He made you! Created and crafted every part of you in a particular way… some of us with way too much spice and salt and not enough sugar. Some of us he crafted in fire to ride on dragons and slay kings (pun intended). Some with sugar, icing, and some more sugar. Some of us with insides like butter…. open, always open to feel our way through life.. but for a purpose, because one thing we do know about God is that He is intentional.
If we will ever be the women we were created to be.. not what the church defines as womanhood or what the husbands association say, or the “we are married and you aren’t association of life coaches”, or even our well-meaning parents, family and friends, want us to be…..… then lines must be drawn.
Opinions must be filtered and we must make the journey from the outer court of ”who do people say I am?” to the inner court of “ I have a word from God for you” and into the holy of holy’s where you can hear from the master potter the ‘why’, the ‘ifs’, the ‘hows’ and the ‘why not’ of your life and your purpose.
At the very least, you owe this to yourself: to be who you are as you were created to be and to define yourself through the eyes of a man who literally loved you enough to die for you.
Thank you to Charlotte Osei and Tucci GokaIvowi for inspiring us to find our inner superstar!
The author, Animwaa Anim-Addo is the host of Strong and Sassy on Joy 99.7FM. She is also the co-host of the Super Morning Show on Joy FM.
- Social media reacts to how youth hooted at Akufo-Addo during concert
- NDC orchestrated the heckling of Akufo-Addo at Global Citizen Festival – NPP
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- 23,495 Ghanaians test positive for HIV in 6 months
- Black Stars arrive to rousing welcome in Spain ahead of Nicaragua friendly
- Bagbin has not resigned from Ghana Bar Association – Dafeamekpor
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Frontiers Contract contains information we cannot disclose – Ghana Airports Company Ltd
- Parliament approves fees for “access” to information
- ‘Stop the foolhardiness, Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival wasn’t orchestrated’ – Stan Dogbe tells NPP
- Wa killings: 18 arrested so far
- I will choose Mahama over Akufo-Addo – Kumchacha
- Government begins second phase of discussions with IMF
- Livestream: PM Express discusses Ghana’s impending debt restructuring
- Ghana cannot avoid debt restructuring currently – Cassiel Ato Forson
- Super Clash: Asante Kotoko file complaint over officiating
- KCCR records zero cases of Covid-19 samples in 2 months
- Luv FM Habitat Fair: Republic Bank offers flexible mortgage packages for home ownership
- Stop abusing prednisolone for weight gain – Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana warns nursing mothers
- We won’t recognise Ghanaian doctors trained in war-hit Ukraine – Medical and Dental Council
- “I hope to play more matches and make the Black Stars successful” – Inaki Williams
- We must build on second half performance against Brazil – Inaki Williams
- Adwoa Boatemaa Adu-Poku wins CEEK Miss Ghana UK 2022
- We have sufficient stocks of petroleum products to last into New Year – Chamber of Bulk Oil Distributors
- World Bank officials laud Ghana’s Tech Lab over effective operations