Audio By Carbonatix
The onion wholesale and retail traders in Sunyani say they are incurring huge losses because of rising cost, resulting from the inability of haulage trucks to convey vegetable from Niger through Burkina Faso to Ghana.
According to the traders the situation had been caused by the Niger military takeover, the closure of the borders and the inability of the dealers to bring the commodity into the country.
Consequently, both traders and consumers of the vegetable in response to a Ghana News Agency (GNA) market survey at the Bono Regional capital’s central market have appealed to the government to collaborate with ECOWAS to allow the free movement of goods and services.
In that sense, they hoped the haulage trucks loaded with onion could be brought into the country to prevent the continuous astronomical price of the vegetable in the nation’s various markets.
Madam Joyce Afriyie, an onion seller told the GNA, that a black v-shaped average size rubber container full of onion had increased from GH¢100 to GH¢170 for more than two weeks now.
She expressed the fear that if the situation was not changed for the better, the price might increase to almost GH¢200 since a maxi-bag of the vegetable was now being bought at a wholesale price of more than GH¢1,800 instead of GH¢1000 previously and thus making it difficult for the traders to make profit out of sales.
“We may not have any option than to increase the price to any level that could not affect our business capitals because many of us borrowed from the banks and are paying interest at the end of every month,” Mad. Afriyie said.
Other traders and consumers the GNA spoke to expressed similar fears and concerns of skyrocketing price of the vegetable, saying that it could even affect prices of cooked food items because onion remained one of the main and indispensable spices in food preparation.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama stayed away so Ministers could speak freely – Kwakye Ofosu opens up on Damang Mine Cabinet debate
2 hours -
Kylie Minogue says cancer experience ‘still with me’
2 hours -
Dozens of romance scammers arrested after specialist fraud squad investigation in UK, Nigeria
2 hours -
Ghana to bid farewell to Aps Kwadwo Safo as funeral rites set for July 30
2 hours -
Son of Mango boss arrested over father’s fatal fall from cliff
2 hours -
Video: Moment Arsenal squad found out they were Premier League 2025/26 champions
2 hours -
Starbucks Korea sacks CEO over controversial ‘Tank Day’ promotion
3 hours -
Google to release first smart glasses since Google Glass flop
3 hours -
Two-time winner Alcaraz out of Wimbledon with injury
3 hours -
GSA shuts down 5A Homes for allegedly producing substandard mattresses
3 hours -
Heads of SHSs cite Buffer Stock Company over missing cost details of food supplies
3 hours -
Gov’t breached oil fund law for 5 years, kept $100m cap instead of $584m – PIAC report
3 hours -
Buffer Stock Company says SHS food prices are agreed by stakeholders, denies lack of transparency
3 hours -
Future Athletics stars ready to shine at UG Invitational meet
3 hours -
Asantewaa Empowerment Initiative launches campaign against drug abuse and teenage pregnancy in Juaben
3 hours