Audio By Carbonatix
The only suspect ever charged in the killing of Tupac Shakur did not appear in court Tuesday for a hearing on whether his defence team is prepared to go to trial.
Duane “Keffe D” Davis also did not attend a scheduled hearing in another case, in which he is accused of fighting with another man at the Clark County Detention Center in late December.
A spokesperson for Davis’ attorney declined to say why he did not attend either hearing. The Associated Press left messages with the detention centre seeking more information.
Davis, who pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the 1996 death of the rap icon in Las Vegas, has been jailed since his September 2023 arrest.
Lawyer Carl Arnold told Clark County District Court Judge Carli Kierny that Davis would “probably want to be here” for the trial readiness hearing and requested that it be pushed to next week.
Kierny agreed and set a Feb. 18 date for it. Kierny said she thought Davis was absent because he was in the other hearing.
The trial is scheduled to begin in March.
A grand jury indicted Davis separately last week on charges of battery and challenging someone to a fight, moving that case from Justice Court to state District Court. He is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.
A correctional officer told grand jurors that he was escorting Davis back to his unit when he and the other man exchanged words and then started fighting in a common room, according to the Review-Journal.
Davis’ legal team said he was ambushed and acted in self-defence.
In the Shakur case, Arnold argues that Davis never should have been charged because of immunity agreements that Davis says he reached years ago with federal and local prosecutors while living in California.
Kierny has said Davis is not protected from prosecution because he lacks proof of any such agreements.
Prosecutors say they have strong evidence against him, including his own accounts of the shooting in a tell-all memoir. Davis, an ex-gang leader, is accused of orchestrating the killing near the Las Vegas Strip.
Latest Stories
-
PIAC accuses government of breaching oil fund law with $100m cap instead of required $584m
9 minutes -
Ghana’s triple reboot: Making independence real
12 minutes -
Yaa Naa applauds Stanbic Bank for contributions to the development of Dagbon
18 minutes -
Powering Ghana’s SMEs through green financing partnerships
23 minutes -
Nigeria arrests former minister in hiding after corruption conviction
25 minutes -
Kwabena Boamah urges stronger governance and strategy to unlock pension fund investments
34 minutes -
Stanbic Bank calls on developers to strengthen project fundamentals to unlock real estate financing
40 minutes -
Africans Communicating Africa to launch in Accra with call to reclaim Africa’s narrative
45 minutes -
“Ato Forson is doing well but NDC not better than NPP” – Stephen Amoah
1 hour -
UMA donates medical equipment to Amomaso CHPS compound to end high-risk referrals
1 hour -
Xenophobic attacks: Gov’t announces support package for Ghanaians being evacuated from South Africa
2 hours -
Average lending rate falls sharply to 16.33% in April 2026
2 hours -
Accra Academy to launch 95th anniversary celebration on May 29
2 hours -
Ghana partners Google for Education to drive AI revolution in schools
2 hours -
Born In Harmony: A young girl shaped by chorale music
2 hours