Audio By Carbonatix
The Tamale High Court on Tuesday deferred its judgment in the case between Anbariya Islamic Institute and Technical University College Ghana to February 2, 2026.
The presiding judge cited the assignment of additional judicial responsibilities as the reason he was unable to deliver the ruling as earlier anticipated.
In a brief address to the court, His Lordship Justice Eric Ansah Ankomah expressed displeasure at the large number of supporters—mainly from the Anbariya Islamic Institute—who thronged the courtroom and court premises, despite prior notification to counsel for both parties that judgment would not be delivered on the scheduled date.
He described the situation as unnecessary and avoidable, stressing that lawyers for both sides had been duly informed in advance. The judge further noted that the heavy turnout could not put pressure on the court to act and emphasized that court proceedings are not public rallies.
As early as 7:00 a.m., hundreds of supporters of the Anbariya Islamic Institute had converged on the Tamale High Court, filling the courtroom to capacity and spilling over into the surrounding premises. The situation prompted the deployment of additional security personnel to control access and maintain calm within the court environment.
Despite the judge’s frustration, proceedings remained orderly, and the court formally fixed February 2, 2026, as the new date for the delivery of judgment.
A member of the University Council, Alhaji Ibrahim Yusif Andani, reiterated confidence in the university’s case before the court. He also expressed concern over the continued occupation of the university’s main campus at Vitting by the Anbariya Islamic Institute, citing serious disruptions to teaching and learning.
“It is putting an extra burden on the university,” Alhaji Yusif explained. “All our equipment is packed there, our students’ certificates are kept there, and we cannot access the place. Just yesterday, we received a report from GTEC indicating that we do not have a computer laboratory, yet our fully furnished computer lab is among the facilities currently occupied.”
He further stated that the university has been forced to reduce admissions due to inadequate space resulting from the occupation of its main campus.
Meanwhile, a senior cleric of the Anbariya Islamic Institute, Dr. Mohammed Awal, urged restraint and respect for the judicial process, emphasizing that the matter now rests with the court.
“We continue to calm our followers. Nobody should do anything or attempt to take the law into his or her own hands. We have confidence in the law, and we have confidence in the judge as well,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
3 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
4 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
4 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
4 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
4 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
4 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
5 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
5 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
5 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours