Audio By Carbonatix
The National Road Safety Authority (NRSA) has urged oil marketing companies and bulk transport operators to strengthen safety protocols following a fatal explosion near Nsawam.
The Authority called for stricter vehicle inspection and maintenance regimes, improved coupling and loading procedures, enhanced driver training, effective fatigue management systems, higher competency standards and strict compliance with hazardous goods transportation regulations.
In a statement copied to the Ghana News Agency, the NRSA said the appeal followed a tragic motor accident that occurred at about 0430 hours on Friday, February 14, 2026, at Ntoaso along the Accra–Suhum Dual Carriageway near Nsawam.
Preliminary reports indicated that a fuel tanker transporting petrol from Tema to Kumasi lost control.
The tanker’s bulk reportedly detached from the tractor head, fell onto the roadside and subsequently exploded.
The resulting fire engulfed several vehicles and motorcycles travelling behind the tanker.
The Authority emphasised that the transportation of petroleum products and other inflammable substances presented inherent risks that demanded the highest standards of operational safety and regulatory compliance.
It highlighted the need to reinforce emergency preparedness and response mechanisms.
The NRSA advised motorists to exercise caution when approaching accident scenes, adhere strictly to traffic instructions and maintain safe following distances, particularly when travelling near heavy-duty and hazardous goods vehicles.
It cautioned road users, especially pedestrians and persons who rushed to accident scenes to siphon fuel from fallen tankers, to desist from such dangerous conduct, as the presence of inflammable substances significantly increased the risk of sudden explosions and fatal infernos.
The Authority commended the swift response of the Ghana National Fire Service teams from Suhum and Nsawam for their prompt efforts in containing and extinguishing the fire, thereby preventing further loss of life and property.
It expressed its deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and sympathised with those injured in the incident.
“We are saddened by reports confirming multiple fatalities, including unidentified victims, and injuries to other road users who have since been conveyed to nearby health facilities for medical attention,” the statement said.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
1 hour -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
2 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
2 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
2 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
2 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
2 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
2 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
2 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
3 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
3 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
3 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
4 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
4 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
4 hours