Audio By Carbonatix
Elder Frank Kwabena Donkor, father of the two brothers who perished in a tragic aircraft crash in Tema, has broken his silence, revealing he was on the phone with his sons just minutes before the fatal incident.
Speaking to his congregants during a church service, the grieving father recounted his final moments with Frank Amoaning Donkor and Elijah Ofori Donkor, who lost their lives when the aircraft they were travelling in from Ho crashed near a school in Tema two weeks ago.
He explained that his eldest son, a pilot instructor, had travelled to Ho on a professional assignment to help establish a pilot training and engineering school in collaboration with international partners.
“Two of my sons were involved in a plane crash, and they both lost their lives,” he said.
“The eldest is a pilot instructor. They had gone to the Ho Airport to bring in pilots from abroad to support the establishment of a pilot training and engineering school. Flying was something he did often.”
According to Elder Donkor, his son had travelled to finalise a multi-million-dollar agreement and had reached out shortly before beginning the return journey.
“He had gone to sign a multi-million-dollar contract, and on his return home, I was abroad and spoke to them. They called me just before they set off,” he recounted.
He said he later contacted them again mid-flight to check on their progress, at which point they indicated they were only minutes away from landing.
“After a while, I called to check where they had reached, and they told me they were about five minutes away from landing. They even showed me a video of the sea, which indicated they were very close,” he said.
He described his final exchange with his younger son.
“My eldest son said, ‘Look at Elijah; he’s asleep.’ He then called him and said, ‘Daddy wants to speak with you.’ Elijah responded, ‘Daddy, we’ll talk when we land.’ We often joked like that,” he added.
Moments later, all attempts to reach them proved unsuccessful.
“They said they were just five minutes away from landing. After five minutes, I tried calling to confirm they had arrived, but the call did not go through,” he said.
Elder Donkor also used the moment to announce funeral arrangements for his sons, appealing for public support as the family prepares to lay them to rest.
“We have arrangements to make, and we want to give them a befitting burial. They will be laid to rest this Saturday,” he said.
He disclosed that the final funeral rites will be held at the State House in Accra, noting that the president has made the venue available free of charge. Buses have also been arranged from Hebron and Sapeiman to convey mourners.
He called on the public to support the family and join them in giving his sons a dignified final farewell.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
3 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
3 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
3 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
3 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
4 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
4 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
4 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
5 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours