Audio By Carbonatix
The Tema Traditional Council (TTC), on Wednesday announced the cancellation of this year’s Kplejoo festival.
The Council said the cancellation was necessitated by the prevalence of the Covid-19 pandemic and the President’s ban on large gatherings as a measure against its spread.
Nii Amarh Somponu II, Tema Shipi and Stool Secretary who announced the cancellation said, “since we are not in normal times it affects everything. Last year we cancelled the festival and this year too we have to do same. If it persists we may also cancel this year’s Homowo”.
Nii Somponu explained that Kplejoo is a sowing festival, a prelude to the Homowo festival, which signifies harvesting and hooting at hunger, stressing that the people of Tema believed that one could not harvest without planting.
He said in view of the cancellation of the festival, the usual night procession embarked on by youth groups in preparation towards the festival had also been duly banned.
“We haven’t obtained a permit for the celebration so if people parade themselves on the street and get into trouble with the law enforcers, we have forewarned them”.
He said all stakeholders were informed about the cancellation adding that family heads were engaged to inform their family members that the festival would not come on between April 2 and April 9 as scheduled.
Latest Stories
-
OSP goofed and must tell Ghanaians the truth – Frank Davies reacts to Red Notice decision
7 minutes -
Today’s Front Pages: Monday, February 16, 2026
21 minutes -
‘Victory in 2028 won’t be gifted to us’ – Bawumia urges discipline, unity in NPP
48 minutes -
Lordina Mahama announces completion of 3 modern maternity and children’s wards
51 minutes -
IOM, Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd partner to boost financial literacy for Ghanaian returnees
54 minutes -
There is nothing wrong with being arrested as a politician – Afenyo-Markin urges NPP unity
56 minutes -
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
59 minutes -
GNFS prevents petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
1 hour -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
1 hour -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
2 hours -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
2 hours -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
2 hours -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
2 hours -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
2 hours -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
2 hours
