Tension is brewing at the University of Education, Winneba, following a decision by the Chairman of the Governing Council of the University, Nana Ofori Ansah, to terminate the appointment of the Director of Finance.
Members of the University Council say the act by the Council Chair was without the concurrence of the University’s governing council and did not follow what the University’s statute stipulates.
The Council Chair recently apologized to the University’s Governing Council and the Academic Board for taking unilateral decisions to implement the Winneba High court’s order.
Mr Francis Obeng was appointed in 2019 after going through processes outlined by the University’s search committee.
The dismissal of the Finance Director, has thus, drawn sharp criticisms among the Governing Council members and the university community, who are calling on the President to intervene.
According to the aggrieved council members, the Council Chair alone has no authority to terminate the appointment of the Finance Director without triggering the right processes enshrined in the University’s statute and without consulting them.
“He’s pursuing an agenda that has the propensity to plunge the entire university into chaos,” one council member said.
Another council member indicated: “whenever he comes to the council meeting, he indicates, the Presidency says we should do this, the Attorney-General says we should do that. So how do we run a university like this?”
Before the termination of the appointment of the Finance Director, the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Mawutor Avoke, had already appointed Dr Theophilus Ackorlie, the former Finance Director of the University who was part of the principal officers the court ordered should be reinstated to their former grade.
Ever since the court’s ruling, there’s been various interpretation of the judge’s instructions when it comes to the principal officers ‘being reinstated to their former grade’ and ‘being reinstated to their former position.’
Members of the University Council are fuming with rage as they say their attempt to ensure a reconciled university is being thwarted by the acts by the Council Chairman of the University.
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- ‘Impugning the motives of Judges is actually undermining integrity of Judiciary’ – Judges and Magistrates Association
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- GFA suspends AshantiGold SC for dealing with banned club president and son
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Step aside, find out if agency obtained right to use Ayat’s content – Copyright Attorney tells GTA, Tourism Ministry
- Nord Stream: Sweden finds new leak in Russian gas pipeline
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- R. Kelly to pay $300,000 to victim in sex crimes
- International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste 2022 – “Stop food waste for the people and the planet”
- QLAC MD is new President of Association of Insurers and Reinsurers
- 11 takeaways from GFA decision to suspend ongoing Premier League season
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Ghana to transition from fossil to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Cedi registers unprecedented weekly decline in trading against dollar as demand surges
- EJF releases film on net free seas project
- Full text: Ursula Owusu-Ekuful’s speech at 2022 ITU conference
- CBG commissions ultra-modern SME centre at Kokomlemle, relocates Trade Fair branch to Ultimate Height Building in La
- Ghana reaffirms commitment to strategic direction set by ITU to ensure universal connectivity
- Fuse ODG also cites GTA for unauthorised use of his content
- Floods kill one at Anwomaso-Bebre in Ashanti Region
- Cal Asset Management introduces 2 new investment products
- Podcast: Explaining the genesis and effects of GFA suspension of the betPawa Premier League