The Electoral Commission (EC) of Ghana is an institution that controls and organises the electoral processes by means of ensuring that political leaders are elected to man the affairs of the nation.
This I believe has to be an autonomous institution that performs its responsibility without any sense of political influence or bias during its operations.
I am of the view that, the Executive need not to elect the EC Chairperson in order not to put unnecessary confusion or litigation under the impression of influence.
The good people of Ghana in their own sovereignty by law, exercise their franchise believing that their rights will be respected by the Commission without any form of influence by any political party other than what Inter Party Advisory Committee (IPAC) approves.
The Electoral Commission together with IPAC need to find means of generating its own revenue to organise its elections with the amount of money each candidate pays in purchasing their forms to participate in the elections, serving as one of the sources of revenue to run elections other than depending on budgetary allocations from a sitting government to run elections.
If I may ask, has there been any financial report provided annually per each election they organise? Mostly, the EC receives funding from the State in order to organise its elections, does this compromise their position of being an independent institution?
What is the purpose of IPAC, an institution formed by the Electoral Commission and what role does these political parties play in its organisation?
I think the Electoral Commission together with IPAC needs to think around appointing its own chairperson to mandate its leaders to prevent political interruptions.
It is the freedom and fairness of a well organised election that makes democracy, and guarantees the will of the people.
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police arresting protesters without a warrant was unlawful – Inusah Fuseini
- Photos and videos: Protesters hit the street on day 3 of #OccupyJulorbiHouse demonstration
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Organisers of demonstrations must respect the law – Gary Nimako
- Ghana is in a leadership crisis; African leaders lack consciousness – Prof Adu-Gyamfi
- MMALABS signs MoU with Spintex Medical Center to boost quality healthcare
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment
- MohBad mourners teargassed at Nigeria’s Lekki toll gate after Lagos concert