Audio By Carbonatix
Three persons have been arrested by the Police Criminal Investigations Department (CID) for allegedly influencing people to buy and drink "Love Moon Anion" sanitary pads from China as medication.
They are Dennis Kanny, who doubles as Dennis Kofi Dogbey, a partner and distributor of Winalite, Rose Osei, a teacher and Caroline Mantse, a nurse.
This was contained in a statement issued on Monday signed by Dr Stephen Opuni, Chief Executive Officer of the Food and Drugs Board (FDB), and copied to the Ghana News Agency in Accra.
Henry Cai, the country representative of Winalite Ghana Limited, had earlier been arrested in connection with the sale of a sanitary pad which was purported to be a medicinal product.
The suspects were said to have deceived the public that when a green lining substance in the pad is dissolved in water and taken as a drink, it could treat many diseases, such as menstrual problems, all forms of pelvic inflammatory diseases, boost immune system, menopausal problem, blood cholesterol reduction, cardiac problems, fibroid, diabetes, blood pressure and stress.
The statement said on November 18, 2010, the Food and Drugs Board, together with personnel from the CID visited East SDA Education Office, near Apenteng Hall at Koforidua, where a group of persons had gathered and were being lectured on the "Love Moon Anion Sanitary Pad" with unsubstantiated claims that it could deal with several ailments.
"The Food and Drugs Board wishes to reiterate its position that the Love Moon Anion Sanitary Pad was registered by the Food and Drugs Board solely as sanitary pad (medical device) for external use only and therefore advises the general public to beware of persons who are deceiving the public by making unsubstantiated claims," the statement said.
The arrests follow a complaint to a team from the Board's Inspectorate Department by a user of the product at Have in the Volta Region, who experienced stiff neck, dizziness and swollen breast after drinking the claimed medicine.
The statement said when Mr Cia was interrogated, he acknowledged that the product was to be used as a sanitary pad but an additional leaflet indicated that it was to be used as medication.
The Board said it would do its best to ensure that the product was withdrawn from the market because the information contained in the leaflet of the product was misleading.
"The Food and Drugs Board takes this opportunity to assure the general public that it would continue to do all within its powers to execute its mandate to protect public health and safety at all times," it said.
It said information from the general public on persons suspected to be in any practice with the potential of endangering public health and safety with respect to FDB's mandate should call 0244337235, 0262689296, 0244337245 or 0244385086.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours