Audio By Carbonatix
Tiger Woods has turned down the role of United States Ryder Cup captain next year in Ireland, the PGA of America has announced.
The 50-year-old was arrested and charged with driving under the influence after clipping a truck and rolling his car in Florida on Friday.
Woods, who was also charged with property damage and refusal to submit to a lawful test, submitted a written plea of not guilty via his lawyers on Tuesday.
Following the crash, the 15-time major champion said he is stepping away from professional golf to seek treatment and concentrate on his health.
He has been given permission by a judge to seek treatment overseas.
"We commend Tiger for prioritising his long-term health and deeply respect the courage it takes to make such a personal decision," the PGA of America said.
The organisation added it stands in full support of Woods and has "sincere hope for his strength, comfort, and recovery", and will share further updates on the future captaincy "when appropriate".
Woods has competed at the Ryder Cup eight times for the USA, with his first appearance in 1997 and last in 2018. However, he has only won the biennial showpiece once in 1999 - at Brookline in Massachusetts.
The 2027 Ryder Cup between the US and Europe will take place at Adare Manor in County Limerick, Ireland, from 17-19 September.
Keegan Bradley captained the US team at Bethpage Black last year and Woods was among the favourites to take the role next year.
When asked about the captaincy in recent months, Woods has said he was undecided.
Luke Donald's third term as European captain for 2027 was confirmed last month.
Following last week's crash, authorities found two white pills in Woods' pocket, which were identified as hydrocodone - an opioid used to treat pain.
Officers also reported he appeared "lethargic and slow" while "sweating profusely" with "extremely dilated" pupils, and that his "normal faculties were impaired".
Woods has had multiple surgeries following a serious road accident in 2021 and has played only a limited schedule.
A Florida judge on Wednesday approved Woods' request to leave the United States to seek treatment at a comprehensive inpatient treatment facility.
Woods' attorney Douglas Duncan said doctors have recommended an "intensive, highly individualised and medically integrated programme" for the golfer, away from the media and public scrutiny.
Duncan said the urgent level of care Woods needs cannot be safely done within the US, "as his privacy has been repeatedly compromised".
Latest Stories
-
Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Tems and Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards
1 minute -
Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
11 minutes -
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
20 minutes -
As cocoa prices melt down, real chocolate is making a comeback
30 minutes -
UK agrees ÂŁ3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
41 minutes -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
53 minutes -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
2 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
3 hours -
TikTok and YouTube ‘not safe enough’ for kids, says Ofcom
3 hours -
Samsung strike on hold – but the fight isn’t over yet. Why?
3 hours -
US charges Cuba’s RaĂşl Castro with murder over 1996 downing of two planes
4 hours -
A time will come they must step aside – Kwakye Ofosu warns ambitious appointees
4 hours -
2028 jostling won’t save NDC if Mahama government fails – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
4 hours -
ORAL delivering results, more cases ahead – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
4 hours -
SpaceX files for IPO that could make Elon Musk a trillionaire
5 hours