Audio By Carbonatix
Gunmen have opened fire with machine guns on a bus carrying Togo's football team to the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola, wounding several players.
Officials say the shooting occurred in the Angolan oil-rich territory of Cabinda, where rebels have been fighting for independence.
The Angolan government called the incident an "act of terrorism". There are reports of serious injuries.
Togo is due to play its first game in Cabinda on Monday.
Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor was on the bus but is unhurt. In a statement, Manchester City said Adebayor had been "shaken by the terrible events" but was "unharmed".
The bus was travelling to Cabinda from the squad's training ground in the Republic of Congo when the shooting happened.
"This was an act of terrorism," Cabinda affairs minister Bento Bembe told Reuters news agency.
However Africa Cup of Nations officials described the attackers as armed robbers.
Togo striker Thomas Dossevi told France's RMC radio that several players were "in a bad state".
"We were machine-gunned, like dogs," he said. "At the border with Angola - machine-gunned! I don't know why. I thought it was some rebels. We were under the seats of the bus for 20 minutes, trying to get away from the bullets."
The identities of those injured - who also included team staff - are not known.
Togo are due to play Ghana, Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast in their group matches. Their first game is against Ghana.
Midfielder Alaixys Romao told RMC Togo were now likely to pull out of the 16-nation tournament.
"No-one wants to play," he said. "We're not capable of it.
"We're thinking first of all about the health of our injured because there was a lot of blood on the ground."
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
7 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
12 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
18 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
33 minutes -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
41 minutes -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
51 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
54 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
1 hour -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
1 hour -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
1 hour -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
1 hour -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
1 hour -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
2 hours -
RaĂşl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and CubaÂ
2 hours -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
2 hours