Audio By Carbonatix
As was widely expected, Tory Lanez’s request to be released from custody while he works on appealing his Megan Thee Stallion shooting conviction has been denied by a judge.
Legal affairs journalist Meghann Cuniff, who has extensively covered the case surrounding the 2020 shooting, reported that Lanez was now "headed to prison" after his motion was denied by Los Angeles Judge David Herriford.
Tory Lanez is officially headed to prison.
"The motion will be denied and proceedings concluded. Thank you," Judge Herriford said.
Lanez grinned at his supporters, including his father and friends from the Unite the People legal services group, before being led out.— Meghann Cuniff (@meghanncuniff) September 14, 2023
In August, Lanez was sentenced to 10 years in state prison following his conviction on multiple counts including assault with an automatic firearm.
“Over the past three years, [Tory Lanez] has engaged in a pattern of conduct that was intended to intimidate [Megan Thee Stallion] and silence her truths from being heard,” Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said at the time.
“Women, especially Black women, are afraid to report crimes like assault because they are too often not believed. I commend Megan Pete for her incredible bravery and vulnerability as she underwent months of probing investigation and court appearances where she had to relive her trauma, and the public scrutiny that followed.”
In comments to reporters shortly after the sentencing last month, attorney Lanez’s lawyer, Jose Baez, said he was “extremely disappointed” by the outcome.
"I think the sentence handed down was incredibly harsh,” Baez said, per TMZ. “I have seen cases of vehicular homicide and other cases where there’s death and the person still gets less than 10 years.”
Lanez, meanwhile, said in a letter subsequently shared to Instagram that the sentence was merely "another moment where my back is against the wall."
The path to sentencing wasn't a short one. Lanez was found guilty in the much-publicised case back in December, followed by months of continued coverage as Lanez made a legal team change and was heard in alleged jail call audio.
Latest Stories
-
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
25 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
1 hour -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
1 hour -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
1 hour -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
3 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
3 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
3 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
4 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
4 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
4 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
4 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
4 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
4 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
4 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
4 hours