The main body representing the hospitality industry in Namibia says it is “appalled at the disrespect” shown by foreign tourists who sprayed graffiti on one of the country’s historic buildings,The Namibian newspaper reports.
Gitta Paetzold, the CEO of the Hospitality Association of Namibia (HAN), told the paper they discovered the damage on the abandoned Garub Rail Station – located in the Namib, the oldest desert in the world – when images were shared on social media last week.
The Hospitality Association of Namibia (HAN) has condemned the actions of a group of tourists who allegedly vandalised a prominent landmark in the south. https://t.co/MGxIFOMdQQ pic.twitter.com/d19ycwIKsr
— The Namibian (@TheNamibian) March 2, 2020
Garub Rail Station, a popular sighting spot for wild horses of the Namib, is not listed as an official heritage site.
However, it is protected under the National Heritage Act because it is in a conservation area, the Namib-Naukluft Park, which includes part of the desert, The Namibian reports.
HAN said Namibians should take a stand against vandalism to show they care for the environment and the country’s heritage.
Some activists on social media are calling for the removal of the graffiti.
- Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
- NSMQ 2021: 3-man Sandema SHTS team without supporters, books place in final U/E qualifiers
- #FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
- EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
- Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
- 20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
- Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
#FixTheCountry campaigners are being prevented from crying after they’ve been punched in the gut – Kwakye Ofosu
May 9 stadium disaster: Persons With Disabilities join in 20th anniversary celebration
#FixTheCountry: Injunction obtained by police was in order – Attorney General
Asantehene marks 71st birthday with May 9 remembrance
Some of the taxes imposed on citizens are a nuisance – Kofi Bentil
Pastor Allen Caiquo releases ‘Finally’ ahead of ‘Priest & King’ EP
#FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
Blaq Jerzee recruits Marioo, Eddy Kenzo on ’Sokoma’ track
13 types of guys who stay single and don’t ever find lasting love
Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
Neymar signs new Paris St-Germain contract
National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
Doubts over venue for Champions League final between Chelsea and Man City as Turkey added to red list