Audio By Carbonatix
Vice Chair of the Trades Union Congress (TUC), Dr Ken Tweneboa Kodua, has taken strong exception to the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission’s (PURC) decision to announce new electricity and water tariffs without concluding discussions with organised labour.
Speaking on Citi FM on Monday, December 8, Dr Kodua said the move disregarded the ongoing consultation process, which he said was aimed at reaching a tariff structure that workers could understand and accept.
According to him, the sudden announcement raises serious concerns about PURC’s commitment to fairness and transparent engagement.
He noted that the TUC had been collaborating with the Commission to develop a realistic tariff proposal, only for the process to be abruptly abandoned.
Such actions, he warned, risk damaging the trust required for effective cooperation between the parties.
“The procedure was not fully followed. We were working together to design a fair and realistic tariff that we could defend to our members. That process was cut short, and then the new tariffs were announced,” Dr Kodua said.
He added that PURC must explain why it chose to bypass the consultative path it initiated. “That decision was not respectful and does not reflect fairness in our partnership.
PURC started the engagement with TUC, so why they halted the process and went ahead with the announcement needs to be addressed,” he stressed.
Latest Stories
-
GACL board tours Hajj Village and key infrastructure projects at KIA
2 minutes -
GWL recovery hits rock bottom as state pays just 18% of water bills
2 minutes -
Parliament lays Anti-LGBTQI+ Bill for second reading
6 minutes -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund oversees restoration of Cath Lab at Korle Bu
8 minutes -
Broda Harrison recognized as originator, songwriter behind global gospel anthem ‘Don’t Play With Me (God on My Side)’
25 minutes -
Komenda Sugar Factory disconnected from power, water, saddled with heavy debt – Trade Minister
36 minutes -
Ghana Water faces 21% supply deficit, GH¢14.6bn debt and 52% water losses — report warns
51 minutes -
ECG urges calm as scheduled power outages hit Ahodwo–Santasi stretch
52 minutes -
COCOBOD salary cuts unfair and misguided — Isaac Yaw Opoku
55 minutes -
SWAG calls on sports minister, backs gov’ts sports fund policy
56 minutes -
Spain to probe social media giants over AI-generated child abuse material
59 minutes -
J.J. Rawlings Foundation mourns the death of June 4 uprising figure Sgt. Peter Tasiri
1 hour -
Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks to take place as strikes continue
2 hours -
Kofi Asmah: Cocoa prices, turbulence and the cost of true leadership
2 hours -
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
2 hours
