Iran plans to supply Russia with potentially hundreds of drones for its war in Ukraine, some with combat capabilities, a US official has said.
White House National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said information received by the US suggests Iran is preparing to train Russian forces to use the drones.
He added that it was unclear if Iran had delivered them yet.
Drones have been integral to the ongoing war for both Ukraine and Russia.
Just last week, Ukraine appealed for donations of thousands of drones to aid its war efforts.
Mr Sullivan added that intelligence received by the US supports the view that Russia’s assault on eastern Ukraine is “coming at a cost to the sustainment of its own weapons”.
He also observed that Iranian drones have previously been used by Yemen’s Houthi rebels to attack Saudi Arabia.
His comments came ahead of US President Joe Biden’s visit to Israel and Saudi Arabia this week. Neither country has so far joined sanctions against Russia over its war in Ukraine.
Israel sees Iran, which calls for its elimination, as its biggest regional threat.
The US and other allies have supplied billions of dollars worth of weapons to Ukraine since the invasion in February.
Mr Sullivan said the US would continue to “sustain the effective defence of Ukraine”.
- ECG’s IT department resisting checks and balance moves by MD – Kwadwo Poku
- Akufo-Addo directs SIGA Boss to probe infractions in 2021 Auditor-General’s report
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana’s economy further within junk status
- Akonta Mining Limited has no permit to undertake any mining operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Minerals Commission
- The viral lynching that was to end Nigeria’s mob justice
- I am still receiving threats from people on social media – KiDi
- COCOBOD signs $1.13bn syndicated loan for 2022/2023 cocoa crop season
- Watch Daddy Lumba break down his hit song ‘Yene Wo Sere Kwa’
- Celebrities mourn Ekow Blankson
- Provident Insurance donates medical equipment to Princess Marie Louise Children’s Hospital
- Edmund Yirenkyi Fianko elected to ITU’s Radio Regulatory Board
- Joy News’ Joojo Cobbinah, NGO sue government over River Offin menstruation taboo
- Illegal mining: Government has failed- Concerned citizen
- Live2Lead Leadership Conference by John Maxwell to be held in Ghana on Oct. 7
- Ghana joins in celebration of World Cerebral Palsy Day
- First-ever Food Systems Pavilion to be hosted at COP27 in Egypt
- Free SHS making a giant impact in the education sector – Education Minister
- Dr Ravi Prabhu appointed Director General ad interim of World Agroforestry
- GIS holds 6th Time Educators Conference
- Kingmakers of Pakyi No. 1 angry with Chief for allowing illegal mining activities to surge
- ‘My son likes my dirty songs’ – Kidi
- Nektunez joins Akon’s Konvict Kulture family
- The rise of prostitution commonly termed hookup among university students
- Absa Bank and MasterCard Foundation to grant ¢2.5m to Fintech/Agritech Startups