Audio By Carbonatix
A man who was given a face transplant after living for 15 years as a recluse is recovering well, US doctors say.
Richard Lee Norris is beginning to feel his face and is already brushing his teeth and shaving, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.
Last week he was given what physicians say is the most extensive face transplant ever carried out, including new teeth, nose, tongue and jaw.
He has also regained his sense of smell, his doctors say.
The 37-year-old cut himself off from the rest of the world and wore a mask whenever he went outside after suffering horrific injuries in a gun accident.
The surgery was funded by the US Navy, which hopes the techniques will help casualties from Iraq and Afghanistan.
Surgeons who carried out the 36-hour operation said it was part of a series of transplant operations lasting 72 hours, using organs from one donor in five patients, including Mr Norris.
He lost his lips and nose in the accident, and only had limited movement of his mouth.
Lead surgeon Eduardo Rodriguez said Mr Norris would now get his life back.
"Our goal is to restore function as well as have aesthetically pleasing results," he said.
The US government estimates that 200 wounded troops might be eligible for face transplants.
The first face transplant was performed in France in 2005 on a woman who was mauled by her dog.
In 2010 surgeons in Spain carried out the world's first full-face transplant.
Extensive face transplant surgery has transformed the face, and life, of Richard Norris, who lived as a recluse for 15 years after losing his nose, lips and teeth in a gun accident.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
22 minutes -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
29 minutes -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
39 minutes -
Government plans 2,000-acre pharmaceutical innovation park in Osudoku to boost local drug production
41 minutes -
Partey undergoes medical ahead of Al Shabab move in Saudi Arabia
43 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
1 hour -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
1 hour -
Patients face basic sanitation gaps in West African health facilities — WHO / UNICEF
1 hour -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
1 hour -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
1 hour -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
2 hours -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
2 hours -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
2 hours -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
3 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
3 hours