Audio By Carbonatix
American shoppers may face higher prices if US President Donald Trump goes ahead with some of his proposed tariffs, the US central bank has warned.
Minutes from the Federal Reserve's January meeting released on Wednesday revealed members of its committee believe Trump's policies might "hinder the disinflation process".
"Business contacts in a number of districts had indicated that firms would attempt to pass on to consumers higher input costs arising from potential tariffs," the minutes said.
The release of the comments comes as the Fed faces criticism from Trump for not cutting interest rates sooner after leaving rates unchanged in the January meeting.
The Fed minutes also revealed "elevated uncertainty regarding the scope, timing, and potential economic effects of possible changes to trade, immigration, fiscal, and regulatory policies".
"A couple of participants remarked that, in the period ahead, it might be especially difficult to distinguish between relatively persistent changes in inflation and more temporary changes that might be associated with the introduction of new government policies," the minutes added.
The Fed minutes also showed the central bank's readiness to hold rates steady amid stubborn inflation and economic-policy uncertainty.
The central bank left the key interest rate unchanged in a range of 4.25% to 4.5% in the January meeting, hitting pause after a string of cuts late last year.
The Fed's chair Jerome Powell has previously said the bank was not "in a hurry" to cut more, given significant uncertainty about where the economy might be headed
Analysts predict the Fed will likely cut the benchmark interest rate only once in 2025, with a big possibility of no rate cuts at all.
Trump's campaign promises included calls for lower interest rates, which would bring relief to borrowers.
It has sparked debate about whether he will respect the tradition of Fed independence, which is meant to keep it focused on the long-term health of the US economy and away from politics.
Mr Powell previously told reporters that he had had "no contact" with Trump and the bank was focused on the data in setting rates.
But questions Powell faced about how the Fed is handling a new order from the White House to cancel diversity programmes - and why it had withdrawn from a global group of central banks focused on the risks of climate change to the financial system - underscored the challenges he will face keeping the bank above the political fray.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod is the best we’ve done with our gold resources yet – Kofi Bentil
2 minutes -
‘I never insulted Afenyo-Markin, he got the response he deserved’ – Sammy Gyamfi
15 minutes -
We’ve moved gold purchases to Interbank rate – GoldBod CEO
38 minutes -
‘We’re not milking the state like a parasite’ – Sammy Gyamfi defends GoldBod fees
44 minutes -
‘You can’t call it losses today after defending it’ – Sammy Gyamfi to NPP on Gold-for-Oil Programme
47 minutes -
Unclaimed car? Efua Abban’s experience with shipping a car to Ghana from the United States
57 minutes -
GoldBod revenue comes from legally approved fees – Sammy Gyamfi
1 hour -
Ghana cautions Tijjaniya Muslim pilgrims over road travel to Senegal
1 hour -
Mfantsiman old girls rally support for ICT library as school marks 66th Speech Day
1 hour -
We won’t stay silent on deliberate smear campaigns – GoldBod CEO
2 hours -
Ghana’s grid not the strongest – Jinapor admits as gov’t eyes critical power investments
2 hours -
I support calls for Energy Minister to appear before Parliament – Sagnarigu MP
2 hours -
Frequent power trips alarming; urgent measures needed to prevent nationwide blackouts – Ben Boakye
2 hours -
Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists
2 hours -
ACEP warns frequent power trips expose weaknesses in Ghana’s transmission system
2 hours