Audio By Carbonatix
The US launched a cyber-attack on Iranian weapons systems on Thursday as President Trump pulled out of air strikes on the country, US reports say.
The cyber-attack disabled computer systems controlling rocket and missile launchers, the Washington Post said.
It was in retaliation for the shooting down of a US drone as well as attacks on oil tankers that the US has blamed Iran for, the New York Times said.
There is no independent confirmation of damage to Iranian systems.
The US has also imposed sanctions President Trump described as "major".
He said the sanctions were needed to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons, and economic pressure would be maintained unless Tehran changed course.
Speaking in Jerusalem, US National Security Adviser John Bolton said the details of the new sanctions were likely to be announced on Monday.
Nobody had granted Iran "a hunting licence in the Middle East," he added.
Tensions between the US and Iran have risen since the US last year pulled out of a 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers and reinstated sanctions, triggering economic meltdown in Iran.
Last week Iran said it would exceed internationally agreed limits on its nuclear programme.
Mr Trump has said he does not want war with Iran, but warned the country would face "obliteration" if conflict broke out.
What did the US cyber-attack do?
The attack had been planned for several weeks, the sources told US media outlets, and was suggested as a way of responding to the mine attacks on tankers in the Gulf of Oman. It was aimed at weapons systems used by Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), which shot down the US drone last Thursday and which the US says also attacked the tankers. Both the Washington Post and AP news agency said the cyber-attack had disabled the systems. The New York Times said it was intended to take the systems offline for a period of time. On Saturday the US Department for Homeland Security warned that Iran was stepping up its own cyber-attacks on the US. Christopher Krebs, the director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, said "malicious cyberactivity" was being directed at US industries and government agencies by "Iranian regime actors and their proxies". They were using "destructive 'wiper' attacks", he said, using tactics such as "spear phishing, password spraying and credential stuffing" in a bid to take control of entire networks. Iran has also been trying to hack US naval ship systems, the Washington Post reported.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
47 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
48 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
51 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
55 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
3 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
4 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
7 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
7 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
7 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
8 hours