Los Angeles Police told Radio 1 Newsbeat a man was shot at his home in an apparent armed robbery, but they aren’t currently identifying him.
It is widely believed to be the 20-year-old rapper from Brooklyn.
Police say they responded to reports of a robbery – a man was taken to hospital and later pronounced dead.
Officers confirmed that an unknown number of suspects entered a property in West Hollywood.
They got a call about a robbery at 04:55 PST and were at the scene six minutes later.
Pop Smoke at the Rolling Loud Festival, Los Angeles, in December 2019 (GETTY IMAGES)
Police say no suspects have been identified and no arrests have been made.
They also denied reports that a man was held at the scene but say one suspect is thought to have had a handgun.
When reports first appeared in the US tributes began flooding in for Pop Smoke, real name Bashar Barakah Jackson – including from friends.
Pop Smoke had a breakout hit with Welcome to the Party in 2019 – which led to him being singled out as an artist to watch this year by BBC Radio 1Xtra, on the station’s Hot For 2020 list.
The station said he “possessed the air and cadence of a rapper who has been in the game for a decade or two longer than his actual age”.
The track ended up being remixed by both Nicki Minaj and Skepta.
Just last week Pop Smoke was a guest on DJ Target’s show on 1Xtra.
He was in the middle of several US tour dates and was due to come to the UK in April – with shows scheduled in London, Manchester and Birmingham.
50 Cent was one of many rappers, DJs and producers that paid tribute on social media, as did rapper Quavo, who Pop Smoke had collaborated with.
I am feeling quite emotionally drained and so for everyone really FEELING right now, I am with you. I also send love out to those who are feeling heaviness in their heart from the passing of the talented Bashar Barakah Jackson aka Pop Smoke
— Yasmin Evans (@YasminEvans) February 19, 2020
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- What is the big deal? – Brigitte Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Male victim of sexual abuse recounts
- Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
- Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
- #FixTheCountry protestors counter injunction with #NameAndShame campaign on social media
- #FixTheCountry: We’ll use the courts to set aside order against May 9 protest – Economic Fighters League
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
- Dominic Ayine questions independence of judiciary
- Methodist Church stands by its objection to GES directive to let Muslim students fast – Bishop of Northern Accra Diocese
Ban on mining in forest reserve and water bodies yielding results – Lands Ministry
NSMQ 2021: 3-man Sandema SHTS team with no supporters, books place in final U/E qualifiers
Sylvester N. T. T Addy (PhD): What to expect now that Ghana’s Plant Variety Protection law has been passed
No prison inmate contracted Covid-19 since the outbreak – Bawumia
Catholic Relief Service partners GWCL, assemblies to solve water shortage in Tamale Metropolis
Punter wins ¢47,000 bet with Betika
God is a woman; my new song highlights power of women – Eno Barony
Childish Gambino sued by rapper over alleged ‘This Is America’ copying claim
GHAMRO wins copyright case against telcos
Federal grand jury indicts four former Minneapolis police officers in George Floyd’s death
Water project to benefit 13 communities takes off at Ketu South
Hassan Tampuli engages contractors to begin dredging of dams in Gushegu Municipality
Missing ‘okada’ rider found dead in the bush
Thousands of cockroaches released in restaurant to settle debt dispute
Muslim worshippers attacked with eggs and stones outside London mosque