Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament (MP) for Suame, John Darko says the Minority will not participate in the ad-hoc committee set up by the Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, to investigate last week's chaos during the sitting of the Appointments Committee.
He argued that the move by the Speaker is illegal, and as such, New Patriotic Party (NPP) MPs will not engage with it.
"I believe our members will not join; our members are not going to be part of this illegality," he said on Joy FM's Top Story on Monday.
Mr Darko added, "When you speak to the NDC members, ask them: what authority does the Speaker have to set up a committee? Apart from Order 362, there is no provision that gives the Speaker the authority to set up a committee."
According to him, the standing orders of Parliament do not permit the Speaker, as an individual, to establish such committees.
He explained that the standing orders only allow for a committee to be set up through a motion raised by the leaders of either side, which must then be seconded by the House. At that point, the Speaker would play a role in approving the establishment of the committee.
However, Mr Darko pointed out that these procedures were not followed. "The Speaker is not the House, and there hasn’t been any motion. https://brixtonwintercarnival.com/media/ A Speaker on his own cannot set up a committee," he said.
Background
Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, has set up an ad-hoc committee to investigate the chaos that occurred during the Appointments Committee's sitting on Thursday, 30th January.
The disruption arose from a disagreement between the minority and majority over the further vetting of ministerial nominees, which escalated into a physical altercation, damaging tables and microphones.
The Speaker has since suspended four MPs believed to have incited the disturbances: three from the minority and one from the majority.
Mr Bagbin's decision has faced criticism from legal experts and, in particular, members of the opposition party.
Latest Stories
-
The longest I have stayed in a police cell is one month – BullGod
4 minutes -
Alhaji Abubakari Sidick gave me my first media interview on Radio Univers -Bawumia eulogises doyen
5 minutes -
South Korea’s ex-president jailed for life over martial law attempt
7 minutes -
I’ve spent 2 days in SWAT unit; it’s not a place anyone should be – Bullgod
13 minutes -
Defamation and rap diss culture in Ghana: A study of Drake vs UMG Recordings Inc.
19 minutes -
Terrorist attack on Ghanaian tomato traders in Burkina Faso prompts national security reset in Ghana
20 minutes -
NDC insists EC heads must go despite petition dismissal
21 minutes -
Nana Agyei Baffour Awuah calls for law to standardise prima facie cases
37 minutes -
Cocoa Farmers in Western North demonstrate over price cut
40 minutes -
Australian presenter apologises for drinking before slurred Olympics report
48 minutes -
Let history record it right: Name the Radio Univers newsroom after Dr Alhaji Abubakari Sidick Ahmed
53 minutes -
I’m a traditionalist and herbalist – Kwaw Kese
1 hour -
Police crack down on wanted robbery gang in Ashanti Region, 3 suspects arrested
1 hour -
Learn and lead with humility – Chairman of insurance retirees forum advises
1 hour -
Beyond the Cold: Debunking a dangerous myth of pneumonia in Ghana and around the world
2 hours
