Audio By Carbonatix
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) says President Akufo-Addo will be held responsible should anything happen to former Special Prosecutor Martin Amidu.
At a press brief Thursday, the party expressed worry over alleged death threats against Mr. Amidu following his release of a report on the Agyapa Royalties deal.
"We wish to serve notice to President Akufo-Addo and the NPP that the Ghanaian people will not sit down and watch them extend their wickedness to Mr. Martin Amidu.
"Therefore, should anything happen to him, President Akufo-Addo will be held responsible," National Communications Officer for the party, Sammy Gyamfi said.
Mr. Gyamfi's comment follows an interview the former Special Prosecutor gave less than three days after his resignation from post.
Among other things, Mr. Amidu said although he has decided not to grant any press interviews, he will be compelled to speak out should the attacks on his life persist.
Amidu's resignation
On Monday 16th November the anti-graft campaigner tendered in his resignation as Special Prosecutor to the Office of the President.
In a letter communicating his position, Mr. Amidu stated that issues following the presentation of his report to President Akufo-Addo left him conflicted about the independent values around which the OSP was supposed to have been created, thus, his resignation.
"The events of 12th November 2020 removed the only protection I had from the threats and plans directed at me for undertaking the Agyapa Royalties Limited Transactions anti-corruption assessment report and dictates that I resign as the Special Prosecutor immediately," he said.
Independence of OSP and seconded staff
He also outlined a number of issues, including a claim that, he had been denied the necessary independence to freely execute his mandate as Special Prosecutor.
Prior to his resignation, Mr Amidu in an updated report on findings on corruption allegations against dismissed PPA boss said work on James Adjenim Boateng’s case delayed because his investigators were compromised.
Events thereafter
His claims resulted in a back and forth between him and the Presidency with both sides alleging and the other refuting claims.
In a latest revelation, Mr Amidu has opined that he had received threats of robbery attacks and arson.
Responding to the claims, the NDC has charged President Akufo-Addo to do everything in his power as President to protect the life of Mr Amidu.
"The NDC has been alarmed and appalled by revelations by Martin Amidu about threats of robbery, arson and death on his life following the release of his corruption risk assessment report on the Agyapa scam.
"Martin Amidu at this point needs our collective prayer and protection against the vile threats directed at his life, since according to him, the sudden demise of Flt. Lt. Jerry John Rawlings has removed the only protection enjoyed from such threats," Mr Gyamfi said.
On this note, Mr Gyamfi concluded that, President Akufo-Addo has failed in the fight against corruption.
"To say that President Akufo-Addo’s so-called fight against corruption has been lost, is an understatement. Today, every critical voice of dissent that dares to talk about the unprecedented corruption under this government has been suppressed.
"The NPP/Akufo-Addo government to have gone to the extent of threatening Mr. Martin Amidu with death for undertaking the Agyapa anti-corruption risk assessment speaks volumes about President Akufo-Addo’s determination to fight anyone who dares to fight corruption in his government.
"It is quite sad, that President Akufo-Addo the self-acclaimed ‘incorruptible’ President who rode on the back of anti-corruption campaign to power, is today a fighter of corruption fighters," he added.
Latest Stories
-
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
10 minutes -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
24 minutes -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
32 minutes -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
44 minutes -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
46 minutes -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
1 hour -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
1 hour -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
1 hour -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
1 hour -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
1 hour -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
1 hour -
UN security official meets GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi
1 hour -
Two detained after French influencer’s scorched body found in vineyard
1 hour -
ORAL has been reduced to a tool for political convenience – Kwesi Botchway Jnr
1 hour -
6 in 10 businesses fail to properly account for VAT – GRA
1 hour