Audio By Carbonatix
Communications Minister Samuel Nartey George has issued a final warning to satellite television giant MultiChoice Ghana, threatening to shut down its operations tomorrow (September 6) if the company fails to engage in negotiations over a price reduction.
In a strongly worded tweet on Friday night, the minister accused the company of disrespecting Ghanaians and reneging on its initial promise to discuss the matter.
The minister's ultimatum comes after weeks of a tense standoff over DStv tariffs, which the government and consumers have long deemed exorbitant.
Citing a mandate from the government to address the high cost of satellite television, the minister had given MultiChoice a deadline of September 6 to agree on a price review.
In his latest post, the minister made his position unequivocally clear.
“I have no intention to continue tolerating the disrespect to Ghanaians by DStv,” he stated. He added that if MultiChoice was no longer interested in a price discussion, as suggested by their latest statement, the government would proceed with its planned enforcement action.
“If they have changed their position, then we simply would enforce the regulatory action. No company is above the law,” the minister tweeted.
According to the minister, MultiChoice had previously shown a willingness to engage, which led the government to halt its initial regulatory moves.
He explained, “DStv indicated their willingness to engage the Ministry on its concerns on pricing and prayed us to stay our enforcement action. If they have changed their position, then we simply would enforce the regulatory action.”
The dispute underscores a long-standing public frustration with MultiChoice's pricing structure, which has been criticised for being high compared to other markets.
The minister's stance has been widely supported by consumers who feel that the foreign company has a monopoly and does not adequately address their concerns.
The regulatory action would be carried out by the National Communications Authority (NCA), which has the legal mandate to oversee and regulate all broadcasting services in Ghana.
A shutdown of MultiChoice's services would affect millions of subscribers and have significant legal and economic repercussions.
The minister ended his post with a final, firm statement: “Ghana is open for businesses that respect our laws and institutions. Until then, there is nothing for us to meet over. The @NCAGhana would carry out enforcement.”
The country now awaits to see if a last-minute negotiation can avert a complete shutdown of a major entertainment provider.
Let me be clear, I have no intention to continue tolerating the disrespect to Ghanaians by DStv.
— Sam 'Dzata' George (@samgeorgegh) September 5, 2025
If MultiChoice is not interested as they claim in their last statement, in discussing a reduction in prices as they had indicated to me, we would proceed to effect the shutdown… pic.twitter.com/rEb7B6YzhP
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s export earnings hit $11.1bn on surging gold prices
22 minutes -
Oil falls after Trump says US will end Iran war ‘very quickly’
30 minutes -
Digital misinformation revives debate over criminalising speech – Pumpuni Asante
39 minutes -
Free speech cannot ignore accountability or security in digital age – Kojo Pumpuni Asante
56 minutes -
Do not tarnish your legacy – Okuapehemaa cautions Sophia Akuffo amid enstoolment reports
1 hour -
Rule of law must prevail – Kwakye Ofosu defends gov’t position on OSP case
1 hour -
Woman, 24, allegedly attacked during robbery attempt at Akatsi
2 hours -
Dram–Deloitte trial raises cross-border, UK liability questions
2 hours -
OSP’s future may depend on Constitutional Review – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
2 hours -
Mahama fully backs the OSP – Gov’t rejects secret plot claims
2 hours -
Study urges balanced expectations for agricultural innovations being developed in Ghana
3 hours -
Putin says Russia-China ties at unprecedented level, invites Xi to Russia
3 hours -
Woman dies after falling into uncovered New York City manhole
3 hours -
Trump to attend G7 summit in France, Axios reports
3 hours -
UK should set maximum working temperature rules, advisers say
3 hours